Replacing DISCARD NUTS on front upper arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speedexpy

Reaction score
This is my first post!
On my 2005 Expy XLT, I am replacing the upper ball joints by replacing the entire front upper arm. The FORD shop manual instructs to DISCARD NUT after removing on all ball joints and tie-rod ends, and ALSO on the through bolts holding the upper arms. The ball joints thankfully come with new nuts.

What is the best way to get replacement nuts for those upper arm bolts? Is Ford the only source? If so, how can I find the OEM part number?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't see the part number in my normal places to look for the bolts or the nuts. I know I generally just put some thread locker on them and reuse them if they seem okay and tighten properly. When I had to replace a lower front control arm bolt and nut due to not holding a torque settings I just measured them and went to the local dealer and we found some that fit.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my first post!
On my 2005 Expy XLT, I am replacing the upper ball joints by replacing the entire front upper arm. The FORD shop manual instructs to DISCARD NUT after removing on all ball joints and tie-rod ends, and ALSO on the through bolts holding the upper arms. The ball joints thankfully come with new nuts.

What is the best way to get replacement nuts for those upper arm bolts? Is Ford the only source? If so, how can I find the OEM part number?

Go to a Ford dealer in person with your VIN and have them look up the parts (nuts) you need.

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
Got this from Varsity Ford Parts. No guarantees here but maybe something to investigate--they're available at $2.88 each. Ford calls it a "Strut Nut" but many other applications.

Part Number: W520216-S441
Positions: Left Lower, Left Rear, Left Upper, Right Lower, Right Rear, Right Upper, Lower, Lower Rear, Lower Upper
Other Names: Ft Lower Control Arm Nut, U-Bolt Nut, Suspension Strut Nut, Rear Lateral Arm Nut, Upper Control Arm Nut, Trailing Arm Nut, Nut Hex Flanged
Replaces: W708248-S441
Description: Heavy-duty. No. 2. 2006-10, #2. No. 1. With sport.
Notes: Part cannot be reused/reinstalled.

OP
OP
S

Speedexpy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I was hoping to skip the dealer trip (1 hour drive for me), and get the job done sooner... but better to take one trip and walk out with the RIGHT part. Giving them the VIN and bringing the old nut and bolt, I figure I've gotta come away with something that will work.

I wondered about Loctite, but man, all those nuts FORD says to discard are in such critical locations! Don't want them coming loose!

Any other thoughts out there regarding Loctite?

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
parts.ford.com is Ford's official spot for parts. It has parts diagrams so you can figure this out. Free shipping, too. I ordered a water pump yesterday at 10am and I just got an email saying its at my doorstep. Or like others have said, use thread lock. If you order from Ford, get a few extra to have around for next time. Good luck.

LegalBrief

Reaction score
The reason they want new nuts is they are prepped with a locking agent. They also can tweak when being removed. It’s a few bucks for piece on mind

OP
OP
S

Speedexpy

Reaction score
While waiting for ball joints from Rockauto, and looking for something else on Amazon, I had the crazy idea to search for "2005 Expedition upper arm bolt".
Up came:

Dorman 14909 Front Upper Control Arm Bolt Compatible with Select Ford/Lincoln Models

Filtered it using "see if this fits your vehicle", and for $10.70 a pair, they showed up at my door with free shipping... perfect match. Installed them, torqued 'em up, and I now have a completed Expedition with new ball joints, just waiting for alignment at the local shop.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!