2007 Expedition Rough Idle/Chugging Lack of Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shake401k

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im new to this forum so im not sure if this is the right section. Anyway a friend of mine has an 2007 Expedition with a 5.4l, his engine blew and had it replaced by some mechanic but ever since the car has never ran right. It seems to idle fine on a cold start but after a few minutes it begins to chug or feel like its missing. There are no codes. When trying to drive it it has no power if you were to drive it normal. however it will get up to speed if you granny the throttle up. if you try to drive normal it also makes strange sounds like a a rattle or something and at that point its very very rough. one thing to note is that the intake was replaced from a junk yard and the fuel rail has a sensor on it that the truck dose not have a connector for. This leads me to believe its the wrong fuel rail. ive found fuel rails online without that sensor provision and also come with a shrader valve which would explain why theres no check engine light. so my thoughts are the fuel rail and injectors are wrong.

any help in the right direction would be much appreciated. Im at my wits end with this thing.

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unplug the vct solenoids and drive it. It should correct the issue if they are indeed bad. The sucky thing is that you have to pull the valve cover gaskets to replace those.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest way if it's the injectors not injecting, is do a fuel pressure test. You also will want to do a noid test on all 8 injector plugs for power to injector plugs. I take it this "Mechanic" is a swapper outer! If he was a technician, not just a pick and pull, he'd know how to fix your problem. Anytime you install a part that's off a different year/model, your asking for trouble. That open port you spoke of in your post, is their vacuum leaking from it? Run a diagnostic test from data port. A check engine light on the dash doesn't always light, but you still probably have some codes that will pop up with a scanner. What you've described is either a malfunctioning cam phaser, or vvt solenoid. Either should show on the Dtc codes test. Get back with what you find.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shake401k

Reaction score
thank you guys i will forward this information and begin testing this friday i will update with information i find. i have a basic code reader and i didnt see anything pending when i checked. also no vacuum leaks were found. we smoked out the intake and didnt find and leaks. Im extremely suspisous of his fuel rail but ill start with the vvt and then fuel psi then noid test. thank you for the advice.