2008 EL XLT shuddering/sputtering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My EL XLT is "shuddering" when after decelerating and then accelerating, my wife says it is sputtering, I say it is shuddering. Happens mostly when accelerating after slowing down, not from a stop, but while moving. Don't know what it is at this point, don't think it is the tranny reflash problem discussed on the forum. Need some help with this one before I start throwing money and a fuel filter at it. Getting ready to leave on cross-country trip in July, need it fixed.

B

bedrck46

well the obvious question would be How many miles on the expy? When was the last time plugs and coils were changed?

OP
OP
grasshopprdisco
Reaction score
It has over 100k miles, and as long as I have owned it, since April 2013, the plugs and coils have not been changed.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start with the tune up. The plugs are probably toast.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
grasshopprdisco
Reaction score
Do I have to replace the coils at the same time I replace the spark plugs. The coils are $40-70 each.

Paul2003

Reaction score
My coils lasted 10 years and 100,000 miles. I think they should last longer but I've heard that's normal. Ford wanted $110 per coil but Rock Auto has them way cheaper. I paid $35 CDN each.