2008 Expo Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Hayre

Reaction score
Everyone,
Had a rattle coming from under engine. Used doctor scope to narrow the noise to driver side cat. Bought replaced cat from Rock Auto (Davico Brand)...economy one...The OEM cat is listed at 1400.00 compared with 250.00 from Rock Auto.
Installed no problem, rattle gone.
However, a deep rumbling noise comes when accelerating. Sounds like broken exhaust pipe, but there are no exhaust leaks, and pipe clamps are solid with plenty of overlap on the exhaust pipes.
Could it be just a cheap cat with higher flow rate?
Anyone else have this issue?
Any solutions, aside from saving for months to get the OEM cat?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Gary, not positive it's your problem but I've had nothing but headache from aftermarket exhaust parts these days. They're noisy and just don't last. I've depended on Walker and now they've been rotting out in 18 months. Wish I had a solution for you other than the $1400 one. Just make darn sure there's not a leak somewhere. They're easy to miss since looking and listening for them is such a pain.

OP
OP
Gary Hayre

Gary Hayre

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, question: did the Walker brand make it louder?
PS: because I'm in Canada, the actual price on OEM cat is $2487.00.......LOL

Plati

Reaction score
Can you junkyard pick a Cat?

Did you diagnose the bad Cat (before removing) by using an infrared gun or other method?
Did you post mortem the Cat and identify a failure?

OP
OP
Gary Hayre

Gary Hayre

Reaction score
Junkyard cats are hard to come by.

The original cat has a broken piece of honeycomb inside, you can see it moving through the O2 hole.