2008 Limited - keep / get new one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06KR

Reaction score
Wow - thanks for the replies. I was just starting to get concerned by a few little issues I've been having pop up (bubbling on rear door - now fixed by a repaint, lousy window motors and squeaks, weird transmission sound when I need to brake suddenly...) and figuring it might be time to get a new one while there's still some value in this one... but sounds like they're solid vehicles for the long-haul.

Yes and no. My old 99 with 115k was mechanically a POS. Nothing but issues after I hit 100k with it. My only reasoning is the prev. Owner had towed a extremly large snowmobile trailer to the UP yearly. My earlier response was assuming you had bought new or fairly close to. With the issues you state I can understand your concern and probably would be asking the same question myself.

ViperXC

Reaction score
97 Exp EB 185,000
99 Windstar 273,000
01 Windstar 102,000
Looking into buying a 08 Exp Limited 55,000

I stress less about rock chips and dings when there are miles on a vehicle. Or with my 99, the metal is just missing(rust). lol

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '99 Expedition 4x4 had about 160K to 165K miles when I decided to get the '11 EL I have now. The only real issues that got me were the coil overs and the fuel pump went out on me. I had it serviced at the dealer and followed all recommended maintenance programs. I towed a 24' RV and went 4x4 on the outer banks of NC. So I did put it through it's paces a bit.

Funny thing was I bought the truck with 65K miles on it and found my average monthly milage was around 800 miles/month. It was my daily driver and our trip vehicle too. Guess I'll have this one for a long time as it only has about 16,700 miles now!

So - my vote would be to keep it. Much cheaper financially to do so. As long as you don't have a lemon and take care of it.

SethKnoxville

Reaction score
I have also had this thought go through my mind. We have a 2007 EL Limited 2wd now with 105k on it and debate whether to keep it or get one newer.

We have done new tires, brakes, fuel pump, COP's, and right rear window motor in the last 7,000 miles and it seems to be ok, but always wonder if there are any known issues to keep an eye out for now that we have cracked the 100k mark on it.

bigpapa33

Reaction score
Hi all. I love my expy, and love this forum. Thought I would post a question here and get some input, if anyone is so inclined.

I have a 2008 Expedition Limited, all black and loaded up with everything except the HD towing and air-ride suspension. I love the truck, and would probably get another (maybe EL) as its replacement. I am trying to figure out if it's time to sell from a money and reliability perspective.

I figure i could sell at the following points, and at these supposed values (according to kbb, using 2008, 2006 and 2004 expedition values):

5 year old truck, 56,000 miles - worth about $25k (about 7k less than I paid 3 years ago)
7 year old truck, 75k - 80k miles - worth about $15k
9 year old truck, 100k miles give/take - worth about $10k

That's about as long as I'm willing to take it, since it is the primary vehicle for my wife and kids, and I want them in a reliable vehicle (this is weird to say, since I grew up driving a bunch of 100k+ mile cars lol). Other than tires, fluids and brakes (which I know are coming up) are there any other maintenance items I should be figuring into the equation?

If I sold, I'd probably get a 2010 or 2011 Expedition, maybe an EL (or Navigator or Nav L, for that matter), ideally certified and ideally in the 20k-30k mileage range.
Mine 08 has 320k and I love it