2008 XLT hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkspaz61

Reaction score
It has 170k miles. Hardly ever have any issues or problems other than normal wear and tear. The issue I have been having for a while is very ruff hesitation when accelerating hard at any speed. It seams like the trans is not shifting correctly or not getting fuel. It will through a light if I donet let up on the gas. Anyone have a guess on what it could be? I have been thinking maybe the fuel filter is a clogged. Iv'e never been changed the fuel filter or spark plugs. It runs normal besides that.

OP
OP
R

rkspaz61

Reaction score
The plugs are not the easiest thing to change. I sure you have seen the posts about how much trouble they are and what can happen if and when they break off in the head.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I don't love changing spark plugs either, but it's what you have to do or pay someone else to do. Or sell the car.

If the truck has an engine date of 10/07 or later it does not have the troublesome plugs.

Either way, ignoring them isn't an option, unless you don't mind a miss that eventually destroys your catalytic converters.

proftomda

Reaction score
Totally agree. If those plugs are the originals, there is a better than even chance that they aren’t firing correctly and that one or more plugs will break on removal. With that many miles, plugs, coils, filters and fluids should be exchanged.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Engine miss should throw a code. Any ticking? Phasers can really make it run bad with no codes. Mine doesn't throw any codes but the phasers are causing it to feel worse under acceleration and especially under load. But it ticks very loudly too.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Both the phasers and plugs will give a code when the miss is bad enough. But you can have problems that you can feel with either and not get a code too. I suppose as it becomes worse, you should get one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt