2009 Rusted Rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quicker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I discovered I have the dreaded rusted out rockers. Kind of snuck up on my as I have the power running boards which I have since disabled as they no longer function consistently.

Anyway I did a search on here and found that there weren't any aftermarket rocker replacements. I saw a couple of posts about having to buy the whole side of the truck (Uniside?) for thousands.

Anyway I found these unisides. Still a little pricey for rockers but I'm assuming I could cut out the bottom section and use it as a replacement rocker?

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-uniside-assembly-7l1z40211a10b

Thanks

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would think that would be it....was looking to see if there were any other components but looks to be right... Like the site btw...saved it for when i need stuff...thanks!

after looking...they show just the inner side panel..;. but you probably need the whole bottom section, right?

Flippingroc

Reaction score
It looks like you would just need this correct?? Im in the same situation w my 08- just my right side is rusted through- only just found out because the rust drips on my power boards...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you have to buy the entire side of the truck to get the rocker panels and it's a crazy expensive repair... personally I won't do it I'd rather use that money toward the next truck, rather that put all that effort into old. It's throwing money into the fire in my view your replacing faulty rockers with new faulty rockers that will suffer the same fate.

Last edited:

Flippingroc

Reaction score
Yes you have to buy the entire side of the truck to get the rocker panels and it's a crazy expensive repair... personally I won't do it I'd rather use that money toward the next truck, rather that put all that effort into old. It's throwing money into the fire in my view your replacing faulty rockers with new faulty rockers that will suffer the same fate.

Agreed, I'm at 285K now and might have someone do some crappy bondo so it doesn't look as bad when I trade it in to the dealer. Told them i'm waiting to hit the 300K mark before I take a 17 or even a used 16- just because I want to be able to legit say that I went 300k on orig drivetrain..

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I'm at 285K now and might have someone do some crappy bondo so it doesn't look as bad when I trade it in to the dealer. Told them i'm waiting to hit the 300K mark before I take a 17 or even a used 16- just because I want to be able to legit say that I went 300k on orig drivetrain..

Yea mine are rusting but they aren't being replaced by this owner lol. I'll prob run this truck a few more years and at that point it'll be pounded with mileage with how much I drive anyway. my inner rocker panels underneath look brand new, it's just the outers on mine.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
Yea mine are rusting but they aren't being replaced by this owner lol. I'll prob run this truck a few more years and at that point it'll be pounded with mileage with how much I drive anyway. my inner rocker panels underneath look brand new, it's just the outers on mine.

Where In WNY are you? I'm in Rochester. Not a lot of Expeditions around here (another reason I like it)- big GM city/town.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buffalo. Lots of Expeditions around here and most of them are driving around with rust stains running down the running boards on the 3rd gens you can always tell. The Eddie Bauers are the easiest to tell seeing that orange run down the light tan running boards. Don't see too many tahoes rusting down there but they do like rust elsewhere on the GMs.

Last edited:

Flippingroc

Reaction score
Ahhh I kinda figured. Think you guys have a Ford stamping plat there.. but I've learned the hard way to never buy a used car from buffalo... Bought a used 03 Explorer from Mass, in 05 and then an 05 Aviator from buffalo in 07. Explorer never saw body rust when I had it (just suspension which is why I sold it w 275K) and my Aviator (buffalo) didn't make it to 150K 3 years later and showed excessive rust in traditional Explorer areas (right rear qt panel). When I look for a used car: Buf is #1 to stay away from, then 'Cuse then Roc but you cant get any good deals on Fords out here because we are so saturated w GM's (and the people who are loyal to them) so hard to find and over priced.. I always buy out of town- love looking at Mass, NJ, PA, NC, VA area- lowest rust probability. Jersey/NYC doesn't use salt like we do up here

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that I actually bought mine out of Rochester. Courtese Ford of Rochester was the dealer.

Last edited: