2010 Eddie Bauer going in for service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
69,900 miles

1. Heater blowing cold on passenger side only.
2. Engine has had a light stumble for months. It began a few weeks ago to flood itself whenever I fill the gas tank. Last week it started stalling in the same general area about 6 miles from the house. It only does this once after the initial cold start of the day. And it finally threw two CEL codes this weekend: one pending regarding a small evap system leak, and another P1450 - Ford type power train - Manufacturer Controlled DTC - Manufacturer Controlled

Description

Unable to Bleed Up Fuel Tank Vacuum Conditions

Cause

Cold startup, engine running at a stable cruise speed with the EVAP system enabled, then the PCM detected excessive fuel tank vacuum at off-idle speed

3. I also requested that they see if I could get the 2011 computer update for the transmission.

I take it in on the 26th, so I will update the service results next week. Until then, I think #1 is blend door actuator, and #2 is a canister purge valve. I was going to buy the valve for $60 until #1 started. Since I have a pre-owned warranty still in effect, I figured I would be ahead to have all three taken care of for the $100 deductible.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TennExpy

Reaction score
I'll be interested to hear out it goes. I also have a 2010 EB, 2WD with 108k miles. Its been a great vehicle but I've started to notice the hesitation as well, nothing major, but its there. I had the plugs changed at 100k but didn't affect it. Also curious what the transmission software update does for you.

OP
OP
E

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was right on all three counts according to the Ford tech. They repaired the blend door actuator and flashed the pcm for the tranny. It will probably take some relearning by the computer before I know what the effect of the update will be. The purge valve is on order, so I will have to bring it back for that. Best news is that the certified pre-owned warranty covers all three! I will update again after seeing the results of the completed repairs. My history with service from this dealer has been very satisfactory on both of my Expeditions.

OP
OP
E

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am still waiting on the purge valve to arrive, but when I filled up this week it did not hesitate to start. That has not happened for weeks. The only thing they did to it that is remotely connected was to flash the pcm for the tranny update. It maybe be that they cleaned or inspected the valve or the vent and got it temporarily unstuck - or who knows what else could have happened? The CEL is not coming on anymore either, and it has not stalled yet.

As far as the tranny update goes, the long lag that took place during downshifting under acceleration is gone. It shifts noticeably more firmly and at points that suit me better.

OP
OP
E

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took a three hour trip this weekend through West Virginia hills, and I wanted to report the result of the transmission update. In the past, I would start up a hill at 70 and either have to really push the gas or wait until the RPM's dropped to get a down shift. Then there was a too long lag in the shift that usually ended up dropping two or three gears to get moving again. Now, as soon as I begin to accelerate at the foot of a hill it downshifts crisply without losing any momentum at all. It always just seems to be in the right gear now, and that makes it feel more powerful and responsive. I am very glad I got this update.

I remain puzzled that the purge valve issue is not resurfacing. Maybe they relieved pressure that will take more time to rebuild. Who knows?

OP
OP
E

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I spent another hour and a half on the highway, and the purge issue returned. Scheduled to install the part on Tuesday.

OP
OP
E

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I spent Sunday on the road again and filled the tank. It took several tries to get the thing started again. I took it today for the new purge valve. On the three mile trip home it seemed smoother than ever. It took several highway miles to rebuild pressure after they just diagnosed it a couple of weeks ago. I will give a final update after a few more miles and a couple of fill ups.

OP
OP
E

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last update on this repair:

The purge valve must have been going bad for awhile. It runs smoother than when I bought it in February. I finally filled the tank again last evening, and it started normally (much to the dismay of my 12-year-old son).

I hope these notes help someone else.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk