2010 Expy Horror Story - Content warning not for the squeamish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there no state inspections in CT? That has been dangerous a very long time. I am surprised mechanics have not been warning about this? Who changes your oil?

David Schaefer

Reaction score
This really sux, it looks terrible. Sorry. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I choose to live in Texas! Seriously, can't you get an undercoating spray job on cars up there? My daughter is in Chicago area and her last car, we ordered an undercoating. I checked last spring (after 2 years of their roads) and it seems to be working! She has a Jeep Cherokee.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last 2007 didn’t/doesn’t look that bad with 220k of WNY winters, my buddy still owns it. Looks to me those parts were a bad run of control arm steel. The rest of your undercarriage didn’t eat away like that by the pics. The 2023 will rust all the same down below, the aluminum bodies will stay pretty for us though! The frames are a bit beefier on these aluminum trucks because Ford reinvested the weight into the frame. Congrats on the 2023, I am loving my 2023 F-150 with the 400 horsepower 5.0L V8. The 10R80 is the best transmission you will ever own, the thing is a beast and always in the right gear for you. Major major improvement over the 6R80!!!

The current 3.5 TT and 5.0 V8 are both scary fast in front of the 10 speed. Really unbelievable when you get on them.

Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never touched salt water. I bought it new and I don't have a boat.

I blame the salt spray on the roads. That stuff sticks. After a snow drive I get to the car wash on the first dry day and get the undercarriage wash. Still, if I wash it again later that white spray still comes out.
That is exactly what happened. About 15 years ago, state DOT’s and local highway departments in the northeast began “pre-treating“ roads with liquid calcium chloride. The idea was to keep ice from forming on the roads at the beginning of a storm. While it did help with safety, it has destroyed the chassis and drivelines of hundreds of thousands of vehicles in the areas using this practice. Even the highway trucks that dispense this liquid have much higher component failure rates than similar age plow trucks that do not. Salt is bad, but the liquid is much worse as it gets EVERYWHERE.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is exactly what happened. About 15 years ago, state DOT’s and local highway departments in the northeast began “pre-treating“ roads with liquid calcium chloride. The idea was to keep ice from forming on the roads at the beginning of a storm. While it did help with safety, it has destroyed the chassis and drivelines of hundreds of thousands of vehicles in the areas using this practice. Even the highway trucks that dispense this liquid have much higher component failure rates than similar age plow trucks that do not. Salt is bad, but the liquid is much worse as it gets EVERYWHERE.

I've been googling truck maintenance. As you would expect the industry tracks this stuff carefully because of $$$.

State by state when they switch to the calcium chloride spray they see a huge increase in parts failures and corrosion.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been googling truck maintenance. As you would expect the industry tracks this stuff carefully because of $$$.

State by state when they switch to the calcium chloride spray they see a huge increase in parts failures and corrosion.
Of all of our vehicles (4 SUVs) we tried to only use the 2 older ones during winter months, especially during storms. The 2 used most during winter got damaged badly (nothing like yours) while our other 2 SUVs are pretty rust free and are no longer used in the winter at all.

98 Explorer 46,000 miles - Replaced Rear spring shackles, Fuel tank filler tube, all brake lines, all power steering lines, brake backing plates, front and rear bumpers and bumper brackets. Sold it rather than try to keep up.

2007 Tahoe 81,000 miles - Replaced inner body shell behind rear bumper and 4 shocks for second time. Currently in the process of replacing the frame sections supporting front sway bar, the front sway bar and all related hardware, both drive shafts and universal joints.

Tahoe 1
1678211498655.jpeg

Tahoe 2
1678211576963.jpeg

Tahoe 3
1678211623243.jpeg

Explorer 1
1678211710134.jpeg

Explorer 2
1678211767476.jpeg

Continued

Last edited: