2010 seats in a 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All...

So did a search and couldn't find anything specific so I apologize if this has been asked previously...

There is a 2013 we are interested in, but it doesn't have the seating configuration we desire. Looking for 2nd row buckets and the Mrs. would rather have tan vs gray. Are seats for the 2010 the same? I would expect this to be an easy swap (famous last words). I'm sure the mounting points are the same, but are the electronics? Heated and cooled seats front and back? I don't "think" the middle seat is heated on the 2nd row bench, but what issues would have converting that to buckets? Also, aren't there airbags in the seats? Will that stuff all work and function correctly with this type of swap?

Any input or direction would be appreciated. Thanks...

LJ

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Changing seat color without changing the carpet, dash, and headliner could provide some ugly colors. :)

Middle seat in the second row comes out and you can fit arm rests on the inside. There's a carpet section that will cover the holes in the floor.

I had the opposite looking for an Expedition a year ago: they all had the 2d row bucket seats which don't provide good seating for my Dachshunds who generate enough heat to make rear heated seats redundant.

-- Chuck

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • 2010 and 2013 seats should be the same.
  • Forget trying to swap heated/cooled seats into a truck that doesn't have them (as far as I know, it's never been done on an Expy).
  • Keep in mind, there is a passenger airbag computer in the front passenger seat; If you do a swap, this must remain fully functional as it's a critical safety item.
  • 2nd row outboard seats are heated (optional), the middle seat is not.
  • If you take out the middle seat, it leaves a HOLE in the floor that MUST be plugged as it leads to outside and can let in fumes and vermin.
  • The carpet will have holes that will need to be covered with some sort of floor mat.
  • The only difference that I know of for sure between 2nd row "Captain's" chairs and standard outboard seats are presence of the armrests; There are many threads on this forum about swapping these seats; IIRC, the frame for standard outboard seats may not have the threaded attachment point needed for bolting on the armrests.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • 2010 and 2013 seats should be the same.

Thanks...

• Forget trying to swap heated/cooled seats into a truck that doesn't have them (as far as I know, it's never been done on an Expy).

Yeah it has the same option, heating and cooling in front and heating in back. Just trying to make sure the plugs, electronics, etc. are the same.

• Keep in mind, there is a passenger airbag computer in the front passenger seat; If you do a swap, this must remain fully functional as it's a critical safety item.

Right, and that's what I'm concerned with. How do I know it's functional? Again, will this just connect right up?

• 2nd row outboard seats are heated (optional), the middle seat is not.

I didn't think the middle was heated, thanks for clarifying...

• If you take out the middle seat, it leaves a HOLE in the floor that MUST be plugged as it leads to outside and can let in fumes and vermin.
  • The carpet will have holes that will need to be covered with some sort of floor mat.

Yup, figured as much.

• The only difference that I know of for sure between 2nd row "Captain's" chairs and standard outboard seats are presence of the armrests; There are many threads on this forum about swapping these seats; IIRC, the frame for standard outboard seats may not have the threaded attachment point needed for bolting on the armrests.

Hmmmm... Well that's an interesting idea. I thought about this as times it would be convenient to have that middle seat... It'd be nice to be able to bolt that back in if/when needed. What is IIRC?

Thank you...

LJ

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IIRC = "If I recall correctly." :)

The front passenger seat OCS system *might* vary somewhat between years. For example, I did a seat swap in a Ford car from 2005=>2003 and the OCS had been revised for '05. I had to take both seats apart and completely swap over all OCS components to make sure everything still functioned correctly.

I guess the easiest way to check is to install the new front passenger seat, plug everything in, and make sure you don't get an Airbag warning light. Even if you don't, you might want to pull codes anyway to see if any DTC's relating to the restraints system have been stored.

Hope that helps! :D

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IIRC = "If I recall correctly." :)

I guess the easiest way to check is to install the new front passenger seat, plug everything in, and make sure you don't get an Airbag warning light.
Or an airbag in your face.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01