2011 4 low wrench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callwill

Reaction score
Bought the truck a week a week ago, all worked fine in all modes(2h 4a 4h 4L- just a foward and backward in a dry parking lot for 4L) at the time. 108k miles. Have driven the vehicle on the road in all modes other than 4low since purchace. Had an ice storm and very slippery uphill drive way yesterday so i decided this was a better place to test the 4 low. Each time i tried to use 4 low the wrench and message showed up. Ive read several other posts and made sure i was in neutral and tried with foot on the brake and off. Also tried backing up a bit then trying again as well as rolling forward a bit and trying again. No luck. I did not see any posts on any fixs.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. But i cant be sure any of the suggestions apply to my problem. First of all, the wrench only shows up when in 4L mode, none of the others. So, just moments ago I took advantage of my ice coated uphill driveway and put my wife in the drivers seat. Had her put the truck in 4A 4H and 4L. In each mode i had her try and accelerate hard while i watched the front tires, first one side then the other. I get front wheel spin on every mode. When i do it, 4l does not feel like a lower gear ratio was activated, feels no different than 4H. And i dont hear any noises either except if im trying to make too sharp of a turn...like when i took it out of the driveway to turn it around and bring it back in.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive read several other posts and made sure i was in neutral and tried with foot on the brake and off. Also tried backing up a bit then trying again as well as rolling forward a bit and trying again. No luck. I did not see any posts on any fixs.
I know you said you tried various options. My 2017 OM specifically says to be rolling forward at 3mph or less, put shifter in neutral, make the 4WD switch shift. You may want to try this again, paying attention to your forward rolling speed (though I'm pretty sure I played with 4L in my 2017 when I had it just to check it out, and don't remember it being finicky). I would also recommend being fully engaged in 4H before attempting to 'gear down' into 4L. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Yes i have tried that too, just a little bit of roll in neutral while flipping the switch. Shouldnt 4L bring it to a crawl and take more Revs to move it? Because for me, its acting just like 4H.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes i have tried that too, just a little bit of roll in neutral while flipping the switch. Shouldnt 4L bring it to a crawl and take more Revs to move it? Because for me, its acting just like 4H.
Yes, if it shifted into 4L and you are moving, you'd know. Many more revs to move it, and display in dash would change from 4H to 4L.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Thanks, not feeling a thing in 4L that says 4L I can see the info screen telling me its shifting to 4L but then i shows the wrench, then Check 4x4 then just 4x4 then it just keeps going thru that sequence.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, not feeling a thing in 4L that says 4L I can see the info screen telling me its shifting to 4L but then i shows the wrench, then Check 4x4 then just 4x4 then it just keeps going thru that sequence.
Definitely sounds like something's wrong then. Wish I could help more.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Im hoping somebody can tell me what it most likely is and what i need to do to fix it.