2011 Expedition towing questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptmajestic

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
I just purchased a certified preowned 2011 XLT and had a question regarding aux. tranny cooler.

Except for the 7 pin wiring harness and brake controller is the aux tranny cooler all I need to be able to tow approx 7000lbs? The Expedition didn't come with an aux and I'm trying to find the price for installation of oem part. The dealer seems to be a little "slow" and I want to make sure I get oem so I dont void powertrain warranty and the like. Any suggestions would be helpful..

btw, its a 3.31 tranny.

Thanks

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to tow a trailer that size, but I would definitely add a brake controller.

You will just have to add the wires between the controller and the plug at the bumper.

When I started looking for an Expedition, I made sure it had the tow package since I knew that would be one of the main uses of the truck.

I would contact your local RV dealer/installation center and talk with them about adding a transmission cooler and the wiring. Ususally not tough a job.

Even a transmission service shop could add an aftermarklet cooler.

Happy tows!

Marc

OP
OP
C

cptmajestic

Reaction score
You should be able to tow a trailer that size, but I would definitely add a brake controller.

You will just have to add the wires between the controller and the plug at the bumper.

When I started looking for an Expedition, I made sure it had the tow package since I knew that would be one of the main uses of the truck.

I would contact your local RV dealer/installation center and talk with them about adding a transmission cooler and the wiring. Ususally not tough a job.

Even a transmission service shop could add an aftermarklet cooler.

Happy tows!

Marc

Thanks Marc. I was just thinking that if I go to tranny shop perhaps would void my Ford warranty? I'm not sure what dealer charges for hd tow package after the fact, any ideas?? The wiring and bc I'm sure I could get at a shop, but wasn't sure in regards to tranny cooler..

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as the transmission cooler does not impact any other system, and the correct amount of ATF is added when installed, there should be no reason for warranty issues.

Be safe and talk to you local Ford store and see what they say, and have them put it in writing.

OP
OP
C

cptmajestic

Reaction score
Thanks
Yeah I got a fairly reasonable quote from the dealer so I'm going to have them install it early next week..

Thanks for the help

You'll probably see a wiring thread from me next week as well..lol

BlimpinDave

Reaction score
Sorry to take away your post, but how do you know if it is a 3.31 ratio? I have an 08 and am trying to figure out. I appreciate it.

Mml1025

Reaction score
Napa auto sells the tranny cooler for about $100 it's the one I'm putting in our 2010 Expedition. Napa auto.com.

I didn't get the tow package, all it is; tranny cooler, wiring, optional larger radiator.

OP
OP
C

cptmajestic

Reaction score
Napa auto sells the tranny cooler for about $100 it's the one I'm putting in our 2010 Expedition. Napa auto.com.

I didn't get the tow package, all it is; tranny cooler, wiring, optional larger radiator.

Thanks. I ended up getting a oem installed at the dealer for 300.00..