2011 Expy Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The steel rims rot in the northeast, AAA will not change them if they too bad. My 1976 Corvette's spare, sat in a protective, plastic clam shell and was easy to remove. The tire would slide out. I checked it and was surprised to see it was in like new condition(in 2001). It was a steel 'rally' rim. I recommend putting a tire cover on them(like on the jeeps). I have a hard cover off a Toyota FJ cruiser. I bought on craigslist for $20. They use a similar size tire. Ford should put the correct size tire, especially after the 'Firestone rollover' recall.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Spare on my 2017 Expy Platinum with 22" factory wheels. 17" steelie... 285/45R22 32.1" vs. 265/70R17 31.6

Spare tire.jpg

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
That was 19 years ago... And nothing related to a steel wheel nor spare tire. :)

-- Chuck
If the handling is affected(esp. A4wd), its a problem. $80K vehicle should have a matching size spare.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Evidently the correct spare tire is not important. Manufacturers do as they please. Dealers ignore the problem. Buyers have been buying crap for at least one decade since my 08 has the mismatched 17" spare. Had I known to look at the spare then, I would not have purchased unless I had the right spare.

Our second vehicle is different. I knew to look. Held out for a full size spare and now all tires and rims match factory ground tires. The buyer has control of the situation. It depends on how important what you want is.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Anyone who wants, or thinks they need, a matching bling spare "rim" and tire can buy one easily. Just order it. Don't expect it to be free.

The tires in Post 23 are within 1.3% of the same circumference. No big deal, it's a spare so you can get the bling tire replaced eventually. Won't mess up anti-lock brakes or stability control. Your bling wheel under the truck for years waiting for the flat that never happens will be weather abused every day. I read in a Wiki (so it must be true!) that tire rotation is not part of maintenance in Europe at all. Let alone with a 5th wheel in the mix. I wonder that they know that we don't.

-- Chuck

Tonka

Reaction score
Mannn! This happened to me too I was dumbfounded cuz I have 18's but my spare is a 17. If you look at the information build sheet right inside you drivers side door at the bottom it will tell you what your spare and tires should be. So yes the 17inch was correct the go by the height which mine is a 70.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You don't see this on the F150. GM uses the correct spare.