2011 Expy Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles Baker

Reaction score
Just had Sams Club install new 4 new Michelin LTX A/T on my 18 inch rims. I asked to move one of the good tires being replaced to the spare. However when they got the spare from underneath they it was only a 17 inch rim so they could not mount it. Is the spare supposed to be only 17 inch? Would a 18 inch rim fit underneath. I'm curious why i have a 17 inch spare.

thx

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A fairly common thing. The critical measurement is total wheel/tire diameter.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - which came standard with 20-inch road wheels and tires (22-inch optional).

The first time I lowered the “full sized spare” to check the air pressure, I found an 18-inch steel wheel and tire.

I called the salesman who said the thought the factory made a mistake, but he would check. He called back and said the factory provided an 18-inch wheel and tire for the spare, despite the 20-inch road wheels and tires.

Although the 18-inch wheel and tire will fit as a spare, I felt it was somewhat misleading on Ford’s part, as they literature and window sticker states the Limited comes with a full-size spare.

Based upon your post, it sounds as though Ford has been doing this for years.

OP
OP
C

Charles Baker

Reaction score
So i guess my question now is will an 18 inch wheel fit underneath? sounds like it will so i could just buy an 18 wheel add a new tire and then could use the spare in the tire rotation when its needed next.

Plati

Reaction score
My 2014EL has 18" steel rim spare.

What are you thinking, buy an exact duplicate rim of what's on the other 4 tires? Swap one wheel with spare every rotation at 6k miles?

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can thank the bean counters for this. It is stupid. In answer to the fit question, you'll note that your spare has a different size. The overall diamater will likely be very close or your traction control would go nuts.
MrSticker - what you ask is exactly what I did.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spare "size" is pretty much about rolling diameter (as in "not a donut"), not rim size.

You probably got 32's like 255/70r18... if the 17 is 275/70r17, it's pretty dang close and plenty driveable for lots and lots of miles.

Like regular driving, not limp-home super careful and paranoid mode.

Plati

Reaction score
MrSticker - what you ask is exactly what I did.
I've thought about doing that. Its certainly sad to see a perfectly good tire wasting away down there and I keep my trucks forever so when I need it ... Its potentially old and rotted (like myself). The steel rims corrode badly in saltville also.

If I did that I would want the spare to match the others not just in size but manufacturer and model.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shoot the steelie with plastidip or bedliner spray so it won't rot, then

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
What rots from the salt is the clip at the end of the elevator cable. Then the spare falls out on the interstate. Mine sought freedom in front of the Midway Diner on I-78 in Pennsylvania.

Last edited: