2011 Expy Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You want a spare tire in case you need it.

Having said that I'm reminded of our 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport sitting in the carport with 133,000 miles on it and a nice/pretty spare tire that has never been out from under the cover on the side of the luggage compartment, let alone on the road. Same for the 2005 Silverado 4WD. That spare was on under the truck but I moved it to the bed (inside a camper shell) to keep the salt off it during those winter time trips to WV. Neglected thing has never been out of the bed except when I was cleaning up prior to a camping trip and wanted to wash the bed liner out thoroughly.

The practice of smaller spares than the four on the road goes back (at least) to the early 80's. My 83 Z28 has a small tire in the spare tire compartment. My 86 IROC has a really weird looking spare. Looks like as wide/flat wheel barrow tire. You pull it out, knowing it will never match those wide 16" tires/rims and hook up the little bottle that was stored with it and next thing you know it unfolds, fills up and fits (size wise) just right. You drive it to a tire repair shop, they put a plug/patch on the flat tire, fill it up and put it on the IROC and then let the "air" out of the spare and the darn thing collapses back to it's original shape and goes right back into the spare storage area. Some of those did come with aluminum rims, but the are still smaller than the running rims/wheels. My black IROC has the black painted steel spare tire rim and the red one has an aluminum spare tire rim.

Don't sweat the size of the rim, it's the overall diameter and tire pressure that will get you off the side of the road (and a jack and lug nut wrench, and the knowledge of how to actually change a flat tire - don't laugh, we all know folks out there who would be standing on the side of the road looking at the flat and wondering what to do until they froze to death or got hit by another vehicle.)

fothco

Reaction score
My 2013 Expee has 18 " spare :pirelli /Scorpion . But has OD higher than 20" Alum rims . Steel rims are used in spares . Always check spare tire's pressure !! Oh my ! Put on spare and it's 1/2 flat !! But - why are my rear tires bald on the inside only ?? Toe in toe out issues or what ??

GaryB

Reaction score
You want a spare tire in case you need it.

Having said that I'm reminded of our 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport sitting in the carport with 133,000 miles on it and a nice/pretty spare tire that has never been out from under the cover on the side of the luggage compartment, let alone on the road. Same for the 2005 Silverado 4WD. That spare was on under the truck but I moved it to the bed (inside a camper shell) to keep the salt off it during those winter time trips to WV. Neglected thing has never been out of the bed except when I was cleaning up prior to a camping trip and wanted to wash the bed liner out thoroughly.

The practice of smaller spares than the four on the road goes back (at least) to the early 80's. My 83 Z28 has a small tire in the spare tire compartment. My 86 IROC has a really weird looking spare. Looks like as wide/flat wheel barrow tire. You pull it out, knowing it will never match those wide 16" tires/rims and hook up the little bottle that was stored with it and next thing you know it unfolds, fills up and fits (size wise) just right. You drive it to a tire repair shop, they put a plug/patch on the flat tire, fill it up and put it on the IROC and then let the "air" out of the spare and the darn thing collapses back to it's original shape and goes right back into the spare storage area. Some of those did come with aluminum rims, but the are still smaller than the running rims/wheels. My black IROC has the black painted steel spare tire rim and the red one has an aluminum spare tire rim.

Don't sweat the size of the rim, it's the overall diameter and tire pressure that will get you off the side of the road (and a jack and lug nut wrench, and the knowledge of how to actually change a flat tire - don't laugh, we all know folks out there who would be standing on the side of the road looking at the flat and wondering what to do until they froze to death or got hit by another vehicle.)

There are some people who flat out shouldn't attempt it themselves. I helped a guy last year on the side of the road who somehow managed to get his fingers caught in the coil spring as it compressed. Jack was a few feet away in the grass. If it wasn't for the wife in the car also, I'm not sure anyone would have seen him to help... I still hope he's OK. Fingers were flatter than a pancake when I got him out and the EMS helped him. Be safe out there everyone!

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere (maybe not expedition specific) that the spare is sometimes a bit smaller due to the space available where they store that spare tire. Although if overall diameter stays relatively close to the other 4 wheels dont see why it wouldn't fit.

What rots from the salt is the clip at the end of the elevator cable. Then the spare falls out on the interstate. Mine sought freedom in front of the Midway Diner on I-78 in Pennsylvania.

Still have no idea where i lost the spare on an older Explorer I used to own. Color me surprised when I went to do some work to the rear suspension and just see a portion of that cable dangling with nothing else there!

Plati

Reaction score
I pulled my 2003 Expy spare last summer. The steel rim was butt ugly rusted but the cable & bottom cup was still ok. I had to Pblast the wrenching part to get it to move ... Took 24 hours to loosen up. I liberally greased the whole cable and cup by hand and oiled the wrench part. I cleaned up and fluid filmed the steel enough so it will work as a spare and did tire pressure.

Lesson learned so I did same to 2014El spare stuff, pre emptive. Will check every couple years now.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere (maybe not expedition specific) that the spare is sometimes a bit smaller due to the space available where they store that spare tire. Although if overall diameter stays relatively close to the other 4 wheels dont see why it wouldn't fit.

Still have no idea where i lost the spare on an older Explorer I used to own. Color me surprised when I went to do some work to the rear suspension and just see a portion of that cable dangling with nothing else there!
5 finger discount.......