2011 Random Stall while driving - Update: FIXED w canister purge valve.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all.

Short story: 2011 Exped that stalls randomly. Sometimes daily, sometimes months between events. Scary for the wife and kids (and me, therefore). Only code I've seen is:P0130 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1.

Short story extra info:

Bought it from a Dodge dealership and the first stall happened w/i the 3500-mi warranty period but all they want to do is drive it till the problem happens again. It hasn't happened so they say they've done all they can do.... help! We're leaving on a long trip Friday morning and it's been stalling again. I've read all over the internet and there seems to be no consistent fix.

Longer story:
We have a 2011 EL Ltd E̶c̶o̶B̶o̶o̶s̶t̶ that we bought used one year ago from a Dodge dealership. Shortly after (w/i the 3500-mi warranty), it stalled on us while idling outside a gas station. The next day, it stalled on us as we rolled through an intersection in a small town. We were basically coasting, so low idle. That evening, it wouldn't start after filling up. The only way it seemed to start is if I pumped the pedal (WHICH I KNOW MAKES NO SENSE and probably had no effect).

A check-engine light doesn't always come on and if it does, it usually is cleared before we get to a place to check it. (see short story above for code)

What it feels like: I'm driving along and the gas pedal goes slack if you know what i mean, the RPMs start fluctuating up and down but there is no response to the pushing the pedal. I put it in neutral and coast, and I've never been able to keep it going. It always stalls after a few seconds. Sometimes it will start right back up. Other times, I'll sit there and try a few times. It's never left us completely stranded, but it is a dangerous situation to have. (I recently drove through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in my work truck and shuddered to think of the stalling happening there with vehicles behind and only a couple feet clearance on both sides with the wall and oncoming traffic...)

Normally, I'm Mr. Fixit when it comes to vehicles. This helpless feeling sucks. I'm worried to take it to a different dealership/repair shop and just throw money at fixes w/o truly knowing what it is.

Is there a chance that a Ford dealership can actually diagnose the issue with it's diagnostic equipment?

I'm praying for a solution. Please help. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll add that it sometimes has a rough idle at start.
Is the Oxygen sensor 1, bank 1, located right ahead of the cat?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not all trouble generate a check engine light. There are likely stored codes and having the Ford dealer pull them is a good start.

I've read a few posts here on failed throttle bodies and suspect that is where your trouble possibly lies. IIRC, the small electrical servo motor that opens/closes the butterfly gives up the ghost and replacing the entire assembly seems like the fix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I also understand that the P0130 code may be triggered by a different problem that triggers the o2 sensor...

In this case, is it best that I take it to a dealership? Are good one-off mechanics as well equipped to diagnose?

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2010 f150. I’m pretty sure it’s a dirty throttle body that’s out of sync after I changed the battery.

Just haven’t gotten around to cleaning.

Mine will stall consistently after I gas up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Buy a $20 bluetooth OBD2 code reader (I have BAFX) and install Torque Lite on your phone. Learn how to read codes and leave in vehicle so you can get it when it happens.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...pretty sure it’s a dirty throttle body that’s out of sync after I changed the battery...Mine will stall consistently after I gas up.

Interesting. It's happened multiple times to us sitting at the pump, just having filled. However, it's also happened at other times.

Buy a $20 bluetooth OBD2 code reader

Will check it out. A friend had recommended Kiwi but I think that starts at $100 or so. I wonder if I can find one as you suggest at NAPAdvance-O'Reilly-Zone...

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. It's happened multiple times to us sitting at the pump, just having filled. However, it's also happened at other times.

Yeah, it happens to me in the morning on the way to work at a particular stop light after I get off the freeway. If I don’t have to stop, I’m good. If I do, it stalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk