2011: Rear coilovers for lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermitch

Reaction score
I have a 2011 and it's a bit unclear to me what my options are for a rear lift.

I know the user "Ace" has Bilstein 4600's with a spacers in the rear, and Fox coilovers in the front.

... but user "Black" has Icons front AND rear. Does he have this set?

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/15519/icon-accessories-09-13-ford-f150-4wd-0-263-stage-3-suspension-system-w-tubular-uca/

I understand that 09' F-150 front suspension is identical, but there is a change (2014?) to the rear suspension that happened in the 3rd gen Expeditions.

Does anyone know what changed? Why does Icon offer 2014+ REAR solutions, but not < 2014? e.g. https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/15692/icon-accessories-2014-up-ford-expedition-4wd-75-225-stage-1-suspension-system/

Edit: to be clear, I don't necessarily want a full Icon setup ($$$), I just know that there's a 2011 that has it, on this forum.

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
I have a 2011 and it's a bit unclear to me what my options are for a rear lift.

I know the user "Ace" has Bilstein 4600's with a spacers in the rear, and Fox coilovers in the front.

... but user "Black" has Icons front AND rear. Does he have this set?

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/15519/icon-accessories-09-13-ford-f150-4wd-0-263-stage-3-suspension-system-w-tubular-uca/

I understand that 09' F-150 front suspension is identical, but there is a change (2014?) to the rear suspension that happened in the 3rd gen Expeditions.

Does anyone know what changed? Why does Icon offer 2014+ REAR solutions, but not < 2014? e.g. https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/15692/icon-accessories-2014-up-ford-expedition-4wd-75-225-stage-1-suspension-system/

Edit: to be clear, I don't necessarily want a full Icon setup ($$$), I just know that there's a 2011 that has it, on this forum.
What is your end goal? New tires/wheels? What do you have, if anything, up front already?

OP
OP
supermitch

supermitch

Reaction score
What is your end goal? New tires/wheels? What do you have, if anything, up front already?

Been doing enough off-road driving on rough FSRs (and getting stopped by enough obstacles) that I wanted to put a lift, and I need new wheels and tires so was going to upsize those at the same time. Been looking at https://jlzaring.com/1lifelive for inspiration, he has icons on the front, ranchos + spacers on the rear, and 35" nittos.

I am currently in an SSV on stock steel wheels, with some skid plates, (haha, thankfully!)

Last edited:

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
Been doing enough off-road driving on rough FSRs (and getting stopped by enough obstacles) that I wanted to put a lift, and I need new wheels and tires so was going to upsize those at the same time. Been looking at https://jlzaring.com/1lifelive for inspiration, he has icons on the front, ranchos + spacers on the rear, and 35" nittos.

I am currently in an SSV on stock steel wheels, with some skid plates, (haha, thankfully!)
I highly advise against ranchos with Spacers. Not a good setup for off road. Spacers in general are for fitting larger tires or for looks. Icons are pricey but perfect for off road. In 2015 they changed the mounting style for the lower strut mount on front suspension from a single bolt horizontally crossing through the LCA and lower strut mount to 2 vertical pins that secure the lower strut mount to the LCA from the top. You could always Try f150 5100s and set the lift adjustment in the middle if they make one for your 2011. I also wish there were more options for all year expeditions

OP
OP
supermitch

supermitch

Reaction score
Bilstein 5100's or Fox coilovers was probably what I would be aiming for, if I could find out which part #s worked. So far I haven't been able to nail that down. I could be convinced of the Icons coilovers, I guess. If I knew which ones. I might have to message that user directly to find out.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your rear coils work with any of the 3rd gen Expys. I actually picked up some ‘09 rears to swap with Bilstiens, which I put in my 2015. Swapped perfectly. I had Nivomats before and wanted to get away from those, which is why I had to find donor stock rears. The fronts are what changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aces

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6193440C-5EF8-428A-9286-F7D42E845CD1.jpeg

You misunderstood, the bilstein set up was what I had prior to the icons. I’ve had the the rear icons for about 7 months now and the fronts for about a year.

The rear coilovers will fit as a direct bolt on.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 37392

You misunderstood, the bilstein set up was what I had prior to the icons. I’ve had the the rear icons for about 7 months now and the fronts for about a year.

The rear coilovers will fit as a direct bolt on.

Nice Expy, Aces! Which Icon's did you end up using? Icon only lists coilovers for Expeditions year 2014 and on, so just curious which set you ended up going with and what, if any, mods were needed to get them to work.

There was a 2007 Expedition with Icons as well (Adventure Driven) so they must have used F150 coilovers. I believe they had to add smaller spacers down at the shock mount.

Aces

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice Expy, Aces! Which Icon's did you end up using? Icon only lists coilovers for Expeditions year 2014 and on, so just curious which set you ended up going with and what, if any, mods were needed to get them to work.

There was a 2007 Expedition with Icons as well (Adventure Driven) so they must have used F150 coilovers. I believe they had to add smaller spacers down at the shock mount.

Thank you. Mine are the ones they have listed for the 14+. It’s a direct bolt on for our 3rd gens.

Adventure driven had theirs custom made by icon.