2012 Aux input??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jalvar3667

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have just been issued a new 2012 base model Expedition and It does not have an input. According to the manual it should be in the center console. Mine does not have one, it was removed to install two way radio equipment. I have a column shift as well. Anyways, I want to know what all is needed to add a factory aux plug. I would venture to guess its a simple harness and plug that plugs into the back of the radio? Thanks for the help. Aftermarket radio is not an option, company truck....

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i guess order it and find out from there how to install...look up some diagrams

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jalvar3667,
Any chance you could post a VIN to see if the radio came with an aux input from the factory. Maybe when they installed the two radio equipment they just tucked the harness up behind the dash. If the Expy has a column shifter tha it didnt come with a factory console and the input jack would have be mounted to the lower dash. Can you post pics of the dash area ?

Matt

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Contact the radio installer. Ask them what they did with the AUX in jack. Chances are that they just buried the wire somewhere. Hopefully ythey didn't cut it.

When I pull OEM consoles for aftermarket (Havis consoles), I always make sure the AUX in jack is available to be used by thr end user.

OP
OP
J

Jalvar3667

Reaction score
The intaller is in prison somewhere in Texas. Prison labor does the installs on our fleet. This is a police model. Sorry no pics of the dash, it's my friday. Off for the next two.

Last edited:

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prisoners upfitting cruisers.

Whose idea is that?

Do they also let the prisoners test fire your guns to make sure they work?

As for the Aux in, you will probably have to remove the radio and look inside the console for Aux input.

If you have a Havis console, you will need a Torx head screwdriver (sorry I can't remember what size). If it's a Jotto Desk console, a simple phillips head screwdriver will work.

Chances are the wire/connector are just buried inside the console.

As a wise old sargent once said. "Be safe out there."

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that's a new one. We used to use TDC quite a bit for labor at our sheriff's office, but that was 30 years ago. Having them do an install for a LEO vehicle in another state? Does the vehicle come from a Texas dealer first then go to TDC? Just wondering

OP
OP
J

Jalvar3667

Reaction score
Federal goverment, so no rhyme or reason there. Keeping the good prison folk working in Texas. Its FPI Bastrop we use. Most of our vehicles are bought in lots. A whole mix of unsold fleet inventory form the big three. The console has security torx screws (Havis?) but i dont see any factory wiring going in to it aside from the aftermarket radio, emergency light wiring. Ill have to around the dash and take the radio out. The wiring diagrams i found online dont really show much other than the aux plug itself.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for a three wire "bundle" that may or may not have a plastic connector on the end. The wires will be wrapped together. If I remember correctly, the Aux in plus into the plastic connector.

Pulling the OEM radio won't help, since the AUx in will be part of the OEM harness.

What agency do you work for (if you can reval that)?

I'm also a part-time Sheriff's Deputy, and trying to get my Sheriff to replace our older cruisers with the new Ford Police Utility (Explorers), since I know we can't afford Expeditions.

Last edited:

deputygreer

Reaction score
Just curious if you found anything out on your Aux input cable. I have the same rig as you it sounds like, I have a radio console in the center and cannot seem to find the cable. I have satellite radio and have just put up with no Aux up to this point.

Thanks