2012 Expedition Entertainment system problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I have too.......there is a Ford Flex model vehicle. Funny how you got mixed up with the flex fuel setup!

I looked in all of my documentation (2011 Expedition EL) and saw nothing about limitations other than had to be factory installed. I think Ford messed this one up.

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please read the red text. Then read the yellow text. If you don't have a FLEX or MKT vehicle, then playing a dvd in the control head will not play on headrest monitors. You CAN play a dvd in Headrest A and using the Sound Select, it will play through the vehicle's speakers. I have verified that this works in mine. Flex and MKT were equipped with My Ford Touch or My Lincoln Touch screens, not the type of units in the 3rd gen Expeditions. Hate so say it but it's not Ford's fault, it's misreading the text I have quoted below (again)

REAR DVD SYSTEM (IF EQUIPPED)
Note: The images seen in this section, and the functions they represent,
are only available with the headrest DVD system and are only available
on Flex and MKT vehicles if the headrest DVD option is ordered
from the factory when ordering the vehicle.
For all other headrest
DVD systems installed on vehicles other than the Flex and MKT, or for
headrest DVD systems installed on vehicles already available in a dealer
inventory, these functions are NOT available.
Your navigation system allows you to access the dual DVD headrest
system (if equipped). To access:
1. Press the MEDIA hard button on the navigation system.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please read the red text. Then read the yellow text........ Hate so say it but it's not Ford's fault, it's misreading the text I have quoted below (again)

Dude - THOSE WORDS ARE NOT IN MY MANUALS. How many times to I have to say that? I have the 2011 Expedition. MAYBE they changed it in the 2012 docs, but it's not in mine. It's not in the updated online docs either. I realize this thread is focused on the 2012, but I have been commenting about my experience with my vehicle.

OP
OP
T

Twood2861

Reaction score
Rexster314 what do you mean by:

"You CAN play a dvd in Headrest A and using the Sound Select, it will play through the vehicle's speakers. I have verified that this works in mine."

I think you just stated you did what I am trying to do.

I may be confusing people and I apologize for that. I am only referring to the ability to play a DVD in the headset , (not the control head at the drivers navigation control unit), AND being able to hear the sound of the DVD through the vehicle speakers WITHOIUT having to tune the radio to a certain station. Is this what you are able to do Rexster314? Or do you have to tune your radio to a specific channel to hear the audio?

Tim

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The headrest DVD player from what I found HAS to be Headrest A. Use the remote control for HR A and press Sound Around button. A prompt will come up on the DVD screen telling you what FM channel you have to tune to on the Nav unit's radio. Tune it in and you will have the sound coming out on your vehicle's speakers. ( or you should)
The Invision system has an FM modulator that sends the signal to your head unit in the dash. No other way around it.

Last edited:

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really? It's because the systems are the same. You didn't know that?

I know they're the same, that's why your stuff isn't working like you want. I've been telling you the only way you get what you want to work is if you have a MYFORDTOUCH or MYLINCOLNTOUCH, not the older SYNC stuff like the later 3rd Gens.
Everything I've posted has been directed at the OP, since we share the same year. I could care less about a different year/model since that's not what we were talking about.

Done with this thread.