2012 Ford Expedition does not crank (not the battery)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharlesP

Reaction score
Took my 2012 gen 3 Expedition to be detailed, when I went to pick it up I jumped in tried to start it and --- nothing, nada. Guages all come up, lights work, etc. Turned the lights on and tried to start, they don't dim. Not throwing any codes. Tried to boost it with a battery box just in case -- still nothing. Wiggled the steering column, the ignition switch, put in gear and back in park still nothing. Don't hear anything trying to start it -- no solenoid clicking, no starter noise, it just won't turn over. It feels like it almost has to be electrical but no idea where to go next, so I had it towed home. If I search or google the problem I get a million results for replacing the battery, but the battery is fine.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks!

--Charles

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took my 2012 gen 3 Expedition to be detailed, when I went to pick it up I jumped in tried to start it and --- nothing, nada. Guages all come up, lights work, etc. Turned the lights on and tried to start, they don't dim. Not throwing any codes. Tried to boost it with a battery box just in case -- still nothing. Wiggled the steering column, the ignition switch, put in gear and back in park still nothing. Don't hear anything trying to start it -- no solenoid clicking, no starter noise, it just won't turn over. It feels like it almost has to be electrical but no idea where to go next, so I had it towed home. If I search or google the problem I get a million results for replacing the battery, but the battery is fine.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks!

--Charles

Try to start the vehicle while wiggling the gear shift lever, or place the lever in the neutral position and try to start it.

I’d bet the detail shop left something with the vehicle open or on, which killed the battery. They may have charged it, but now the battery has a bad cell and won’t hold a charge or permit a boost.

Also remove and clean the battery terminals, and the terminal connectors with a battery terminal brush if you are POSITIVE the battery is okay.

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

Reaction score
I did try to start it from neutral with no luck. I also tried all three keys we have with no luck either. It’s dark now, so I’ll put my battery tester on it in the morning.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the censorship began, I rarely login but your issue is the relay in the passenger side relay box. I forget which # it is but it will be obvious, it happened to me with identical symptoms

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

Reaction score
Update:

After letting it sit all nite, it started right up this morning. Weird.

I tested the battery, which tested ok (although it said it needed charging) **BUT** it was a 5 year old battery, so I replaced it anyway.

Local parts didn't have any of the relays, so I'll order one just be safe to have on hand.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the same issue recently on my 2009. Just randomly wouldn't crank over. Nothing. But all electrical worked. Noticed that the anti theft light was one with the key in. Put a new battery in the key ( built in fob) and no Moe issues for over a month. Key just wasn't registering as a chip key.