2012 Ford Expedition EL XLT rear AC evaporator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter Barnabas

Reaction score
I drive a 2012 Ford Expedition EL XLT in Saudi Arabia. At the time of the last servicing, a minor leak on the rear (auxiliary) AC evaporator was observed.

Now, at the local Ford service centre, they say the evaporator itself (the actual part with the fins) does not come up under their system as a part, only the assembly (8L1Z-18D283-B). On some websites upon lookup it is stated the evaporator has its own part number, namely 5L1Z-10860-CA, but there is ambiguity as well because some other websites state this part is not compatible with my Ford and do not display a part number for the evaporator, only for the assembly.

They happened to have this part (5L1Z-10860-CA) at the service centre (even though it did not come up in their system for my car) and tried to fit it but they also say it does not match the damaged part and the assembly. They also tried to fit a number of other, similar parts, and none of them fits, as they state.

I am not a car guy and I have no idea about these things, but I do find the incident a little bizarre, because basically we are unable to identify the damaged part and put in an order. The assembly can be ordered but the price is very high.

Do other Ford owners go through similar experiences, even if perhaps with other parts/assemblies? Is it possible that a relatively large assembly can't be further broken down into parts, and in case anything breaks down, the whole assembly needs to be replaced? And, what's even more puzzling is this constant confusion on various websites about this particular part. It looks like with some other Ford Expedition models the rear AC assembly can be broken down into parts and parts can be ordered, but with my car, it stops at assembly level. Confused! Any hints, please share. Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire