2012 SYNC upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EKBlake

Reaction score
Have 2012 and sync needs an upgrade. Has anyone done this before? Is it worth it and what was the cost. I’ve lost the mapping capability and sync to phone is sluggish.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate our sync. Probably my 1 of my only 2 gripes I have with this SUV.

I’d love to know how to update/upgrade

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just upgraded my new-to-me 2011 Limited, to resolve iPhone 11/Bluetooth music/app issues.

https://help.ford.com/update-sync/

Where I had to deviate from the instructions:

Formatting USB stick for FAT32 (not FAT/FAT16), NOT the directed exFAT - would not read an exFAT formatted drive.

Had to go into Media, Settings, and the Install option to manually initiate the update, as it didn't auto-start on mine like the instructions claims to.

Recommended: It'll reboot the system after it's done, and look like it's done - leave the drive in for quite a while. I pulled mine a bit early, didn't brick anything, but it acted like it was done, and it was not. Radio/Media were non-functional for a few minutes until the update finished up doing it's thing - thought I broke things for a bit, until the functionality resumed. There was no announcement on my system that it was done - only the error thrown up for removing the drive early, because it wanted to write it's completion .XML file, which it seemed to do after I put the drive back in.

Keep the engine running during the whole update (25-30 minutes).

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I was looking to update my 2017 Expy Sync 3 (big touchscreen) ver2.0 to the newest possible update if I can - while the ford dealer has it to fix issues under their 30day warranty I asked them to do it so if they didn't I will when I get it back. Thanks for the info kythri.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure that site will work for SYNC3 as well - my notes about FAT32 over exFAT may not apply to the new SYNC3 system, however. My experience is only with my new-to-me 2011/SYNC1 system.

If I had a SYNC3 system, I'd start by following the instructions to the letter, and deviate only if not operating as described.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to update over wifi but it said your system is up to date which I don't believe so I asked the dealer to update it and I will see what happens and let you know. Thanks

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I removed the factory stereo from my 2012 Limited and replaced it with a Kenwood DMX7706S with Apple CarPlay and totally love it! Get the pre-made harness from Crutchfield and installation is a breeze. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DMX7706/Kenwood-DMX7706S.html?omnews=15730662
I have a 2017 so I want to keep the factory because I have a factory backup cam steering wheel controls and it is the big touch screen which is about twice the size of any double din aftermarket radio that you can buy so I would but its not favorable in my opinion. How do you like your kenwood?

RobE

Reaction score
How do you like your kenwood?
I bought another one and installed it in my 2007 Honda Civic. For my 2012 Expedition, I purchased the Sirius XM kit and connected the satellite antenna and works great. I also installed the steering wheel control module and OBDII connector to get vehicle stats on the head unit.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought another one and installed it in my 2007 Honda Civic. For my 2012 Expedition, I purchased the Sirius XM kit and connected the satellite antenna and works great. I also installed the steering wheel control module and OBDII connector to get vehicle stats on the head unit.
Nice