2013 Expedition MAX at stop light, brief white smoke from under hood, passenger side. Smell's electrical.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kramer User

Reaction score
While at stop light, a small "vaporish" amount of smoke was coming from under passenger side of hood, to me it smelled electrical, not oil'ish at all...... we smelled it first.... there was some residual smell while driving afterwards..... but nothing seems to be wrong at the moment..... gauges shows nothing wrong.... Needless to say, I'm worried the problem will leave me stranded in the snow and ice, in the near future..... 2013 Expedition MAX

OP
OP
K

Kramer User

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did..... at a quick glance there was nothing obvious, and of course, it had already quit smoking by that point...... I also checked the heat of each front brake disc, they were similar

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did..... at a quick glance there was nothing obvious, and of course, it had already quit smoking by that point...... I also checked the heat of each front brake disc, they were similar

I would check the PCV valve fitting, grommet and hoses, as the hoses and grommet can dry-out and can leak vapor and smoke.

Also check your battery terminals and connectors. Are they clean and tight? Any corrosion on the positive connector (under the red cover)?

Gussy-Larry

Reaction score
About a year ago one of the heater core extention connectors on my 2007 expedition let go and started dumping coolant on the exhaust and causing a white "smoke" and also started overheating. I found the other one leaking recently after having to top off the coolant a few times. Also there was some coolant pooled up in what I believe is the cylinder #4 spark plug well in the valve cover. I should have changed both at the same time but did not. They are about $50 apiece. I know you said it was an electrical smell but wouldn't hurt to check these out to avoid loosing your coolant and overheating your engine.