2014 5.4L Engine Code P2195 and P2197

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arc1847

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my 2014(just under 94,000) for a little more than a year and it has been a pretty solid runner for me. Just the other day I came home from a short trip and it idled very rough (200rpm or so) when I pulled it into the driveway. It sounded a lot like my 2005 right before I put in new VCT solenoids. I couldn't get it to replicate immediately so kept driving it. This morning it did it when I first started it (cold) so I grabbed my scanner and it read the P2195 and P2197 codes (O2 sensors, both banks).

Once it warmed up it ran pretty well, so I took a look at the live data on my scanner (bluedriver). It seems like it runs okay, but Short Term Fuel Trim for both banks was running anywhere from -29 to +54.7, almost identical constantly. I find it a little hard to believe that both O2 sensors and/or both VCT solenoids would die at the same time. What are the odds that my timing is on its way out? Anything else it might be? It's a holiday weekend and shops are busy so I've got a lot of time to tinker!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Al

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a guess but you may have an intermittent connection in one of your key sensors, MAF, MAP, etc.
Fuel trims swinging both directions is strange....

OP
OP
A

arc1847

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll take a look at the MAF and clean it appropriately and check my upstream O2 sensor connections, but do you know where the MAP sensor is on that 5.4? I've never dug into one of those.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure on your year model, some years have multiple sensors combined into one.
You can also view your live data as you wiggle components and wiring, see if any readings act weird.
Your upstream O2's are probably setting a code because your fuel trims are bouncing around. Something else is making the system think it needs more or less fuel. TPS, MAP, ECT, MAF, Fuel Pressure, even a vacuum leak.
Since both banks are having the same symptoms, look for the things that could affect both banks.

OP
OP
A

arc1847

Reaction score
If my timing was going out would that potentially cause the issue?

I recorded my fuel trim values on my drive in to work this morning and while there weren't any noticeable periods of poor performance the short term fuel trim values again ranged from those -30% to +55% and didn't throw a code after a 20 minute drive. It seems like it should have at least given me a CEL.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a lot to learn about these things, but I think that if valvetrain timing got that far out (far enough for your symptoms) you would get a DTC code, CPS error, bank retarded, etc..
I'm wondering how/if it would run in open loop? I'm not sure what condition you could set to cause that.
I'm hoping someone will come along with some better answers for you. Maybe put something about boobs in the thread title?

OP
OP
A

arc1847

Reaction score
I suppose I could offer to show mine but that isn't likely to get me the help I need. I appreciate the advice you've offered. I cleaned the MAF the night before
last and while it didn't make a difference immediately it ran perfectly on my commute yesterday and the fuel trims were closer to what they should be. The sensor wasn't visibly dirty but it seems to have helped. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if the problem returns.

OP
OP
A

arc1847

Reaction score
Well, it turned out to be the MAF sensor. Unfortunately I found out by having it towed to my preferred mechanic when it completely died while I was out running errands. It had run perfectly the day before and started okay Friday morning but got progressively worse until it just wouldn't stay running. Too much money later it is running great.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad it's fixed, curious what you cleaned the MAF with? Checked the air filter in my truck and had issues two days later with it running ruff. Had to get MAF cleaner and that fixed it.