2014 Dim Instrument Display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
I'm assuming the nighttime bulb is the dim thing we are seeing now. It's fine at night. It NEEDS to be brighter in the daytime and the easiest way(to me) would be to add a bulb (or turn on another element in the same bulb) for daytime. It's what we used to call a SWAG when troubleshooting back in the day. I've heard the S as both Silly and Scientific.
WHAT light bulb would you add to a two-line green LED display that has no light bulbs?

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok not bulb but they have to have a bright display for daytime, and it's either from more voltage or ??? I can't see it being program-related or a setting gone rogue.

Plati

Reaction score
On my 2014EL (I have DRL's so YMMV) ... if I really want the speedo & tach etc to light, I turn the headlights from auto to ON. That green text display doesnt change and I know of no way to brighten that. Its very hard to read (impossible) with sunglasses on. Its also so small text that I cant read it anyway (I'm nearsighted). Poor Engineering. Vehicles not designed with Senior's in mind IMHO.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately LED display will dim over time. Replacement of the display is your only option. And don't expect miracles as they were never that bright to start with.

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, do you think it's a DIY, or pay through the nose? I lived on Miles to Empty in my Excursions.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. Windshield was replaced due to damage, but it's stock.
On many cars, there is a sun sensor on the dashboard that sets the intensity of the instrument panel as well as controlling the climate control. If it is blocked, the car may think it is cloudy outside and dim the display.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is non-readable in harsh sunlight also. I also verified there is no difference in intensity day or night or if I dim the interior lights (although HVAC controls dim). Just a poor design IMO. I can't find where Ford sells the message center separately, only the gauge section with message center or without. New one cost $435, used around $150. Used you will probably have the same issue since it is just as old. You could always use an OBDII reader and Torque app on your phone to access the same info. Just mount the phone where you can see it.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya. As I said in a reply to one of the other threads, it is a known design flaw and Ford does not care.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well now I own a 2013 and have this same annoying problem. It is as if the daytime/nightime logic is reversed. Also my radio (basic) display is dim as well.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1709692297356.png

Fricking annoying. I need to check this out during daytime. Apparently the instrument panel is dark unless the headlamps or parking lamps are illuminated. The design of the instrument panel "gauges" is such that they are all shadowed by the unnecessary framing of each gauge. Terrible design. I am hoping that I can reprogram this behavior somehow.