2014 Dim Instrument Display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AccraBob

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Expedition with factory in-dash GPS. I have noticed recently that during the DAY, the info display in the instrument panel (odometer, trip meter, etc) is very dim, almost impossible to read when sunny. It used to be OK. The intensity/dome light control makes no difference to the display intensity during the day - it seems stuck at minimum brightness. At night or when I simulate night by pulling into a garage or stopping under an overpass, the display becomes MUCH brighter and the control works all the way from max to min.

Any ideas? Manual was not useful.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Expedition with factory in-dash GPS. I have noticed recently that during the DAY, the info display in the instrument panel (odometer, trip meter, etc) is very dim, almost impossible to read when sunny. It used to be OK. The intensity/dome light control makes no difference to the display intensity during the day - it seems stuck at minimum brightness. At night or when I simulate night by pulling into a garage or stopping under an overpass, the display becomes MUCH brighter and the control works all the way from max to min.

Any ideas? Manual was not useful.

If you search here it is definitely a somewhat common issue, unfortunately I don't recall what the solution is.

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that on my 2012. Haven't found a solution, but I'm thinking there is a bulb out. It should be more like the turn signal, you would think. I have ordered a service manual, but have to await its arrival. I will be scouring the schematics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
If you search here it is definitely a somewhat common issue, unfortunately I don't recall what the solution is.
Searched a little, haven't found the exact same symptom mentioned, but I'll keep looking. Thanks!

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
I have that on my 2012. Haven't found a solution, but I'm thinking there is a bulb out. It should be more like the turn signal, you would think. I have ordered a service manual, but have to await its arrival.
I dunno. What bulb? The display with the problem is LED dot matrix. The bulbs in the speedometer/tachometer/oil/fuel/temp gauges all work.

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the nighttime bulb is the dim thing we are seeing now. It's fine at night. It NEEDS to be brighter in the daytime and the easiest way(to me) would be to add a bulb (or turn on another element in the same bulb) for daytime. It's what we used to call a SWAG when troubleshooting back in the day. I've heard the S as both Silly and Scientific.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you had any windows tinted, or applied any film to the windshield?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk