2014 Expy maintenance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So ... in your opinion ... coolant change goes by miles ONLY and NOT years?
How many years would you go before changing coolant?
I change mine every 3 years and thoroughly flush entire system by running engine flush and water for a week beforehand and try to run the heaters (hot in summer). I use the straight green stuff I get from garage sales for pennies on the dollar (50-50 in system). I have a system of fully removing the old stuff I will do a writ-up with pictures this summer depending on how nice everyone is.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change mine every 3 years and thoroughly flush entire system by running engine flush and water for a week beforehand and try to run the heaters (hot in summer). I use the straight green stuff I get from garage sales for pennies on the dollar (50-50 in system). I have a system of fully removing the old stuff I will do a writ-up with pictures this summer depending on how nice everyone is.

Yesterday it was a waste of time and money to change the coolant. Today it's every 3 years and you edited your original post to say he might want to change it soon. Jeff, is that you?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday it was a waste of time and money to change the coolant. Today it's every 3 years and you edited your original post to say he might want to change it soon. Jeff, is that you?
I change mine a lot but I doubt if it is really necessary, I get the coolant for almost nothing also. That guy only has 35k+- mile on his truck and pays to have it done. He can do it but probably not necessary yet. Who is Jeff?

Last edited:

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been said that some bus owners (I have a 1953 GM PD-4104 w/Detroit 6/71 Diesel) will use the green Cascade dish powder mixed with water as a system flush. I will be doing that later this summer...