Greetings - New-To-Us 2014 Expedition EL Limited!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaPackMan

Reaction score
Hey All!

I'm Kyle from Central Illinois. I had been looking for a truck to replace my 2007 F-150. I came across a few Expeditions, did some research, fell in love with one, and bought it! We have owned our Expy for 3 weeks now and love it so far!!!! Kids are still coming up with a name - ********* Bus or Black Beauty. It is a 2014 Expedition EL Limited 4x4 (used) from a local dealer. I had it checked out at our mechanic and he gave it a green light, so we went for it.

I looked at newer ones with the EcoBoost 3.5 but they had 200k+ miles and I think I would only own an EB if I either bought new OR got one with low mileage. We paid less than $12k for this thing and everything works - running boards, power folding seats, power liftgate, sunroof, heated seats, vent windows, towing stuff, etc.... I normally stay away from higher trim levels because things stop working, but everything seems to work on this puppy.

It has the 5.4 with 166k miles and 6 speed auto. 4WD works great. I do keep the running boards deployed because 1) it's handy and 2) I don't want them to fail inboard. I am going to sand off the running board paint and put on truck bed liner for better traction and protection. I even get better mileage than my F-150 (15.5 on the Expy compared to 14.5 on the F-150). The ride is wonderful, it holds our family and my parents, it will tow whatever I need it to, and it looks great.

I did an oil change and replaced the front brakes (rotors/pads). I need to have some fluid changes done because it didn't come with a service history and there's no history on the CarFax for it - brake fluid, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, and transfer case. I haven't removed any plugs yet to see their condition, but will soon. The coolant looks pretty recent, so I won't worry about that for awhile.

When I changed the oil, I couldn't believe how clean the underside is. There are zero fluid leaks. I texted the salesman to ask if they cleaned anything, maybe a power wash or something, and he said they did not. It is not perfect - there are some dings and scratches. There is a bit of paint missing off the aluminum on the rear hatch and the edge of some of the doors. I want to remove the middle seat in the middle row to make easier to get folks in and out. It would be better to not have to unlatch the seats when folks want in the back. I attached a pic of it below. It will need new tires by Spring, so I will grab some. I would like to get LT tires because, at some point, we would like to tow a small camper.

I look forward to asking and answering questions on here. I just wanted to say hi - I hope you all have a great day :)

PXL_20230923_140955744.jpg

MrTommy

Reaction score
We have a 2014 EL as well. We bought ours thru Carmax in 2016 for my wife. She absolutely loves it. So do I actually.

At 53,000 miles we had the brakes done and had struts replaced. We finally got new tires on it as well. The only problem we had was a dead battery after the truck sat for almost a year while we were 'out-of-town'. Overall, we love this truck and its basic lack of problems. Hope you have as good a luck as we have.

Attachments

• Deer Run Road002.jpg
    Deer Run Road002.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
D

DaPackMan

Reaction score
We have a 2014 EL as well. We bought ours thru Carmax in 2016 for my wife. She absolutely loves it. So do I actually.

At 53,000 miles we had the brakes done and had struts replaced. We finally got new tires on it as well. The only problem we had was a dead battery after the truck sat for almost a year while we were 'out-of-town'. Overall, we love this truck and its basic lack of problems. Hope you have as good a luck as we have.
That is good to hear! The only modification I have made so far - removing the middle seat in the middle row. It's hard to flip those seats forward with car seats or boosters, so removing the middle seat solved that issue. Now now more flipping!!!!

hamzill

Reaction score
Hi, Bought a used EL XL from a state department auction for 9K, it had 100K miles on it. Ran great at the get go. Did eat up engine oil for at least another 10K miles.
Developed the famous cam phaser problem. Replaced one cam phase. Had a valve on cylinder 5 drop in. Had to rework the entire engine.
After the engine rework, it was eating up at least a quart at every oil change interval which is 3k miles.
Was running on 5w20 jumped to 5w30 synthetic blend the oil consumption dropped to a quarter of a quart.
SJB has an issue for interior button lights and courtesy lights.
Latest issue is with bank 1 knock sensor. Working on solving it.
Otherwise the car runs great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett