2014 Limited 5.4l. ( Which Coolant do you guys trust)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was checking wife’s ride and the coolant had small particles all in the coolant, I want to Flush it and put new in. What coolant do you use in it and how much? What flush works best?
Thank you

Denninc

Reaction score
Fordtechmakuloco recommends the Gold coolant.

Here's a video.

I did a flush about 6 months ago and so far no issues on my 2014

OP
OP
Ron1978

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fordtechmakuloco recommends the Gold coolant.

Here's a video.

I did a flush about 6 months ago and so far no issues on my 2014
Did you go with the new yellow coolant?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck came with the orange, which they no longer make. I replaced with the yellow. A vacuum filer for the job is ideal imho, but last time I did a full flush I just ran distilled water through it until it ran clear, then drained half and filled with concentrated coolant.

KOTU

Reaction score
I used Motorcraft VC-13-G / Yellow in my '07 Navigator's 5.4L 3V as per Fordtechmakuloco.
Be forewarned if you buy concentrate from Amazon you might receive 50/50 instead. I ordered concentrate from 2 separate vendors twice, and both times I was sent 50/50.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Motorcraft VC-13-G / Yellow in my '07 Navigator's 5.4L 3V as per Fordtechmakuloco.
Be forewarned if you buy concentrate from Amazon you might receive 50/50 instead. I ordered concentrate from 2 separate vendors twice, and both times I was sent 50/50.
Watched the video, but...
Did FTM say VC-13-G yellow can mix with VC-7 gold? (For example , topping off after a leak )

Or can VC-13-G yellow only be used after a complete system flush?

KOTU

Reaction score
Yes, if I understood it correctly, the yellow coolant can be mixed with gold.
Another thing I did when I had my engine apart for doing the timing is, I installed a 3/8" I.D. hose with a hose clamp onto the radiator drain to make changing the coolant in the future that much easier. Also when I had the engine apart I put on a new water pump and a new oil pump. I took a lot of pictures ... here let me set up the slide projector. ...lol

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Directly from Ford:

Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant can be used to top-off or entirely replace (drain and
refill) antifreeze/coolant in vehicles factory-filled with Motorcraft® Orange
Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant.

If I remember correctly (and maybe I don't), gold is HOAT, orange is OAT and yellow is POAT.