2014 Rear Strut Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthernLuke

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at replacing my rear struts on my 2014 expedition max limited. My expedition doesn't have the self leveling struts and I was hoping to switch to them. There is lots of talk about squatting issues so I would like to get the self leveling struts installed.

Does anyone know if the self leveling struts can be installed with the coil and strut mount etc. from my original struts?

So far both ford dealerships I phoned don't sell the entire strut assembly but just the strut itself. Seems like there are lots of options for a regular strut and coil setup but the self leveling struts seem harder to find. Especially as a full assembly.

Thanks,

also the last dealership I phoned quoted $695 (Canadian) for 1 load leveling strut ( not the entire assembly ) that seems absolutely ridiculous.

OP
OP
N

NorthernLuke

Reaction score
It looks like you can purchase just the strut but you need to go through ford to purchase all the other parts needed to make a complete strut assembly.
and ford charges a ton for all the other pieces.

Ford quoted me $1976.05 cad for all the parts needed to make 2 full self leveling strut assemblies. That is crazy since I can buy 2 regular strut asseblies for around $500-600 cad.

If I buy the struts from rockauto and the rest of the parts from ford I could get 2 full self leveling strut assemblies for $1215.68.

At this point I'm debating just getting the regular struts and adding sumo springs if I still have squatting and if I get a heavier camper just investing in a good weight distributing hitch.

I haven't done too much towing with my expedition but I have loaded up the back with a decent amount of cargo and I did get really bad squatting. So I'm assuming with the camper hooked up and various camping gear in the back it will squat really bad.

Also I don't think Bilstein makes a strut that fits the ford expedition.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score

They do. You will need to reuse your lower spring perches.
Bilstein Rear 4600 part number is 24-197724

If you are doing the fronts too 2014 may have been the year they switched to a cross pin through the shock eyelets and two bolts to the lower control arms. If so you’ll need the F150 shocks outlined here.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/bilsteins-installed-on-my-17-limited.36886/

If the 14 still uses the original mounting of a single bolt through the shock eyelet to mount to the control arm like in the video then you’ll use the Bilstein part number 24-197717

OP
OP
N

NorthernLuke

Reaction score
Thanks, did you end up getting the bilstein's installed on your Expedition??

How well did they work for you? and have you loaded up the back or used your expedition for towing?
If the bilstein's would help my expedition from squatting vs installing the self leveling struts I would save myself close to $1000.

Then I would just have to reuse all of the other parts from my original struts.

upload_2019-3-29_13-55-43.png

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not installed yet they just arrived yesterday.
Waiting on my tires to arrive as well.

Others that have used them seem to be happy with them.

While not an apples to apples comparison I have the 4600s on my Z71 and I have yet to squat it. Sure the rake is gone with a load but I consider squatting when the rear is substantially lower than the front end.
Granted I don’t tow a whole lot. My 4 wheeler and DR Field and Brush mower mainly.
Has done a few loads of mulch and top soil. Towed a Malibu on a dolley once.

Yes you’ll reuse everything from your old setup except the top shaft nut.
The video shows the step by step. Make sure to mark top hat, spring, spring perch and eyelet so you have it oriented properly when reinstalling.

I am not sure if the 2014s have the shock with the spring perch attached to the shock tube or not I know the 15+ do.

If so you will need to drill a hole to relieve the pressure in the shock then cut the tube right above the perch to remove it.
If it is the older removable style the perch style they just slide off like in the video.

Last edited: