Definitive Shock/Strut Replacement answers 2016 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Is there a definitive thread showing proper info for replacing front and rear shocks/struts and springs? (Non-load leveling or air ride or whatever)
2016 Limited 2wd EL 90k -- I have ready so many different accounts on these, something about mounting plates that are all different and no way to tell until you get them off. SO MANY different comments on it all but not definitive answer.
Its time to replace ours, and I am all for doing it myself, after seeing what the Ford House quoted me yesterday, BUT I DO NOT want to be in a situation where I get everything apart to find out some obscure part is needed to complete an install.

At the 90k mark, I assume I should probably go ahead and change out the springs too while I am at it, or would replacing shocks/struts only be sufficient. We plan to Daily this ride for quite a while longer.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can tell you that replacing all 4 on my 2013 4wd was pretty straight forward. I purchased all 4 assembled struts from my local napa, lifetime warranty. Removed factory assemblies, install new. Front a bit more complex, but not a big deal. Gained a little ride height and a lot of improved ride. Dis not need anything further than the four strut assemblies.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for your input! I seem to be running into too many variables when I search and call. I wonder if the 4wd had more applications, esp in an aftermarket situation. Every seems to want to throw new suspensions of sorts on 4wd. IDK

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would advise to beware of some of the YouTube videos from "experts". I watched several that would have had me disconnecting and reconnecting parts that would have required a front end alignment after the installation. I ended up simply doing it as my Haynes manual stated, and had no problems. There are bolts that require 407 foot-pounds of torque. Those that tell you to guess at it may be spending your money for you. A torque wrench is much less expensive than damaged parts. I purchased complete Monroe units with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly. No receipt needed if it fails. They record all purchases under your phone number and can pull up all purchases from their computers.

LimitedHobbs

Reaction score
I have a 2015 limited, 2wd, 108k
Non load leveling.

I just did the rear shocks, and installed kyb excel g 340072. Helped the ride immensely. It’s not an easy job, but isn’t the hardest. A pre assembled shock / spring assembly would help speed things up.

For the rears, You need to remove the bottom bolt on the shock and the bottom bolt on the control arm to frame. You will need a deepwell 30mm impact socket and a regular depth 27mm impact socket. Then the upper three bolts holding the assembly to the upper frame. Upper bolts are 15mm (I recommend a ratchet wrench). Then wiggle it out. I reused all the parts off of the factory shock and reinstalled them on the new kyb shock.

Both rears took me 5 hours with no rush and getting interrupted with kids and stuff, and taking a couple breaks due to the heat.

In the one pic, I had to use c clamps to compress down the top mount to get the shock nut on.

Attachments

• 804A73F2-7A53-4D32-B60A-410D8BD16A1E.jpeg
    804A73F2-7A53-4D32-B60A-410D8BD16A1E.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 6CA4E36C-202A-454D-AE81-C8FBCC904FB0.jpeg
    6CA4E36C-202A-454D-AE81-C8FBCC904FB0.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 29
  • 81FD58CC-060F-440F-9A52-0A9B922AD929.jpeg
    81FD58CC-060F-440F-9A52-0A9B922AD929.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 29
  • CEC21F86-C646-4BFD-B4EE-3EA2385BF5B9.jpeg
    CEC21F86-C646-4BFD-B4EE-3EA2385BF5B9.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 4A6392A4-09F0-413E-A210-0485C5336610.jpeg
    4A6392A4-09F0-413E-A210-0485C5336610.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 29

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory struts have a removable lower spring plate. Keep it in case you ever decide to do the lifting struts. It gets thrown away a lot and isn't a stand alone part, gotta buy the assembly from Ford to get them.

prenticect

Reaction score
17 EL 2WD. for rear I had the load leveling shocks.. those are an issue. if you get stock shock it is super easy. as stated take the one bolt from the lower control arm and it gives you enough space to get them out... and only one bolt.

the front, yes the tube tube folks tell you to take so much off. I did all that and I realized. way too much. the other side I did half that and it was not a problem at all. I am sorry I cannot remember exactly what was needed to drop the lower arm enough. but honestly as stated not a hard Jon if you have done that type of work before. I had big issues due to rear shock. if you lived close I have a set of brand new shocks sitting in the garage as I bought the wrong set and it cost more in shipping to return than I paid for it

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information! I have done a few shock/strut replacements on F150s, oem replacement as well as level kits and the like. What had me worried is a few folks mentioning the spring perches on some and not on some all within the same model years. Last thing I want to do is be stuck with a front end completely apart and hunting for a parts that's got me in a bind.
I am wanting to replace all 4 corners and figure I might as well replace the whole assemblies, (at 90k+) Wife is about to start a new teaching job with a bit of a commute, so Id like it to be better road worth as well as comfortable.
new plugs and all will be the next job as well. Lots of work to do with little time to do it!

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
I would advise to beware of some of the YouTube videos from "experts". I watched several that would have had me disconnecting and reconnecting parts that would have required a front end alignment after the installation. I ended up simply doing it as my Haynes manual stated, and had no problems. There are bolts that require 407 foot-pounds of torque. Those that tell you to guess at it may be spending your money for you. A torque wrench is much less expensive than damaged parts. I purchased complete Monroe units with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly. No receipt needed if it fails. They record all purchases under your phone number and can pull up all purchases from their computers.
Would you care to share the page/pages from the Haynes?