2015-2017 owners question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SC_Bax

Reaction score
We have a 2004 Eddie Bauer that's driving me crazy over an electrical issue. We are the original owner.

We are looking at 15-17 models.

Did anyone have an issue with the oil pan leaking?

Thanks
Bax.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2004 Eddie Bauer that's driving me crazy over an electrical issue. We are the original owner.

We are looking at 15-17 models.

Did anyone have an issue with the oil pan leaking?

Thanks
Bax.

2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. Meticulous maintenance. Oil & filter changes every 5,000 miles at a Ford dealer.

No oil pan leaks, now at 96,*** miles. Passenger use - no towing or heavy loads.

Numerous defects and repairs done under warranty and the extended Ford plan.

Water pump failure at 70,*** miles. Transmission failure at 91,*** miles.

Currently subject to a potential HVAC motor fire safety recall since August. Parts not available until next year.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look for a 2017. Apparently the 2015-2016 models had turbo issues. 2017 turbos were much better. Well according to my mechanic

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 Platinum with 78,000 miles. Bought new. Only one recall for the master cylinder that has been done and the blower motor recall still to be done. Other than that a set of tires and a new battery. That's it. About 7,500 of those miles pulling a 30' camper. Dealer is always hawking diff service, trans service, plugs etc. I just tell him I am following the owners manual and he shuts up. I do the Ford Quick Lane "Works" package every 5,00 miles Good luck with your purchase!

OP
OP
S

SC_Bax

Reaction score
So I would add, we had a '99 expo that had 200,00 before the '04. The miles are for family that are a state away and going to coast. Work travel was 15 miles. Both Expeditions where great vehicles. And we are looking for one that will give us multiple years. Will the 3.5 go to 200,000 plus with normal ware?

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The A/C blower will need the condenser replaced ($80) but easily done by yourself. Coolant system leaks at the connector to the turbos very common and an extremely expensive repair because of the amount of time needed to get to the turbos. The throttle body will need to be cleaned to keep it idling smoothly-very easy DIY. If you get a 2015/16 and listen to satellite radio then you will need to replace the antenna-$30 and easy DIY.
I bought it to pull a trailer however our camping days are minimal due to high school volleyball.
If I didn’t have to pull a trailer-I wouldn’t own one. Poor gas mileage, recall problems and due to the coolant lines running all over-many potential points of failure.
I do love the power though!

tacoduck

Reaction score
I’ve owned 2. First was a 2017 expo el limited 2wd that was a hertz rental. Purchased from carmax. Zero issues in 25k miles, it was stolen out of my driveway.
2nd truck is a 2016 expo limited el, 4wd bought used with 50k miles on it. I’ve changed the spark plugs, and that’s it. Mechanically, both trucks have been fantastic. I do have paint on the roof failing on my 2016, going to tape it off and respray.

These trucks represent a great value in the current market. Used clean trucks can be had in the $25k range. They have great utility, and that version of the ecoboost has been reliable. For some reason, the 2018-20 engines have cam phaser issues. My sister had that problem on a 2018 expo with 100k miles. She traded it.