2015 Expedition Stealthbox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goaliekeg

Reaction score
2015 Expedition Stealthbox Install with Pics

Hi All:

I've recently purchased a 2015 Expedition XLT 202A w/Nav, BLIS, etc. Black on Black. So far, I'm having a great experience with the vehicle.

The one thing I can't stand is the factory sound. For a Sony system, it is pretty awful in terms of low end balance. I'm coming from a Honda Pilot EX-L with a factory subwoofer, and that audio system sounds better.

I have been doing tons of research on this vehicle, and simply put, there is NO information on wiring diagrams or audio upgrades available for it as it is too new. The only upgrades available are factory floor mats, window deflectors, and tuners by Livernois.

That being said, I am considering adding a stealthbox that is made for the 07+ Expedition EL to this vehicle. From what I understand, this vehicle year is a "refresh" year, so I assume that the factory mounting points of the subwoofer are the same as the 07-14 models, and therefore the stealthbox should fit. Does anyone have any feedback on this? Also, in terms of the factory subwoofer wiring, I imagine that I can tap this pretty easily and add a line level converter. I have seen that past ford models with factory subwoofers are red (+) black (-) with a third wire that is not used when connecting a line level converter. I would imagine the 2015 Expedition is similar.

If I can get some decent feedback, I'm going to be getting said stealthbox and creating a nice write up for it. I'll be making 2015 Expedition history, as there are literally NO write-ups available for this vehicle.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

goaliekeg

Reaction score
Stealthbox is on the way...To enrich the forum, I'll add pertinent information regarding the installation in the 2015 non-EL Expy over the next month.

OP
OP
G

goaliekeg

Reaction score
I have been doing a bunch of research on the Sony sound system that comes with the 202a package on the 2015 Expy XLT. It turns out that the DSP unit for the system is mounted directly to the back of the subwoofer. I feel that when the stealthbox is installed that I will have to relocate this DSP unit (hopefully within the confines of the stock wiring loom length). At some point over the next month, I'll be taking the stock subwoofer out and checking fit of the Stealthbox, and see where the DSP unit can go.

The only good news out of this is that if you wanted to install a CleanSweep or similar device, it would be relatively easy as all of the speaker outputs come right out of the back of the DSP unit. That means easy factory upgrades while keeping the SYNC system...however the DSP unit would need to stay in place. As far as I can tell, removing the DSP with SYNC will cause issues based upon what i have read in the FSM.

As a final note, the diagrams have shown that there are TWO subwoofer drivers. I see this as a good thing as it makes it easy to add a line level converter to the system.

Attachments

• Subwoofer Picture wAmp Pic.jpg
    Subwoofer Picture wAmp Pic.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 687
  • Subwoofer Wiring 2015 Expedition Sony Subwoofer.jpg
    Subwoofer Wiring 2015 Expedition Sony Subwoofer.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,146
OP
OP
G

goaliekeg

Reaction score
I got the Subwoofer installed yesterday. Trial and error with mounting the DSP unit back on led me to having to set it down on the wheel well next to the subwoofer tucked under the wires. I tried moving the subwoofer further to the right (drilling new holes in the JL bracket) but that led to alignment issues with the quarter panel, so I had to go back to the stock configuration originally intended by JL.

I can confirm that the Stealthbox mounts to the factory mounting points and fits well. However, there is are two things that need to be moved in order for this to occur.

1. DSP Unit

The DSP unit is what drives the audio speakers throughout the cabin (Sony system), including the stock subwoofer. The good news is that there is plenty of wire to move the unit around behind the quarter panel. As previously mentioned, I ended up setting it down on the wheel well for now until I can determine how I want to mount the unit (if at all) behind the quarter panel (picture attached).

2. PLG Module

The PLG module is directly to the left of the stock subwoofer, and the JL sub will not bolt in without moving this unit. I simply moved the factory screw to the left and secured it to another point next to the seat belt reel (picture attached).

I did a bunch of toying with the position of the subwoofer to try to accommodate the DSP unit in a more functional way. There is simply no way to mount it to the JL box without having to do some custom fabbing. The only other thing I can think of is creating a bracket and securing the DSP unit to the sheet metal of the quarter panel.

In addition, I modified the quarter panel by cutting out the sub hole to allow for more sound to pass through the quarter panel. I'll get pictures of this later, I don't have any at the moment. Since the JL grille that is provided is large, I was able to cut a hole that doubles the size of the factory opening.

My next step is to get one of the Alpine monoblock amps I have installed. I'll probably end up putting this amp under the front seat.

20150301_173943.jpg

20150301_131547.jpg

20150301_173226.jpg

20150301_131554.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

goaliekeg

Reaction score
The install is finished.

The remote turn-on had to be wired to a fuse box wire that turns on with the key (I found the proper wire through Motorcraft Service FSM). Since everything is CAN BUS in this car, all the power wires remain hot that connect to the accessories like the auxiliary audio controls. The ground was placed at the factory ground location on the pillar between the driver and rear passenger seat.

The amp was placed under the driver's seat. You can only get away with a small monoblock amp under the seat because I have the 202a package with the heated/cooled seats. There is a bunch of stock cables that don't allow for much room.

The power wire was easy to get through the firewall on the driver's side next to the factory wiring. No sound or turn-on pop.

To summarize, the goal of this install was to retain all the factory trunk space as I have a 14 month old and another one due any day...so I need plenty of room for strollers and car seats, etc. The RUX knob I installed allows me to cut the bass when the family is in the truck.

I hope this thread will help some members with 2015 Expeditions. If anyone has questions on my install please let me know.

Attachments

• 20150305_104642.jpg
    20150305_104642.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 20150305_104616.jpg
    20150305_104616.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 381

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good write-up...that box will also fit in 03-06 cuz we have the same mounting points for the sub...so they didnt change anything there

retrogarage6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
i like your style man... you took that brand new truck and ripped it right apart.

Awesomeness.

How much was it for the stealthbox? And how many watts does it handle? After seeing your photos I think I may add one in my 03 with a jl amp, i like the factory appearance. Good job.

OP
OP
G

goaliekeg

Reaction score
i like your style man... you took that brand new truck and ripped it right apart.

Awesomeness.

How much was it for the stealthbox? And how many watts does it handle? After seeing your photos I think I may add one in my 03 with a jl amp, i like the factory appearance. Good job.

Go check out Crutchfield and JL's website. They sometimes are on sale. It's not cheap, but it's a great solution if you need the space and want good sound.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great post goaliekeg.

I remember reading a Stealthbox post here a while back (2 years ago) and found it. The poster mentioned he made a deal with JL to try to install a Stealthbox that is intended for an Expedition XL into a "regular" length Expedition. Low & behold it fit perfectly, so imagine my surprise when I went to JL's webpage today and it still says it fits Expedition EL and Lincoln L only. Wonder how many sales they've lost?

Link to the thread I refer to:
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f45/jl-audio-stealthbox-19433/

Johnnyredgtr

Reaction score
Go check out Crutchfield and JL's website. They sometimes are on sale. It's not cheap, but it's a great solution if you need the space and want good sound.

Hy Goaliekeg;

I own a 2015 expy platimun and planning on buying the JL Stealthbox, the question that i have is; were to put the wire remote turn on to fuse box? What number fuse do you use? Location of fuse box?

Thanks.
Johnny M.