2016 Steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcroyle

Reaction score
Greetings. 2016 Expedition XLT 4x4 with 30k miles.

The Issue: The vehicle will counter steer causing lane changes, increased steering effort, and random changes in direction of travel. Drifts to both left and right with no warning or notice regardless of the road slope. This appears more noticeable at mid to higher speeds 45-70. The vehicle feels very unsafe to drive and will drive you mad!

1. Tires are stock Goodyear wranglers fortitudes.
2. Jacked up the front end and did not notice any play in the wheels.
3. While towing small utility trailer with ATV the issues become worse with the added trailer sway control (TSC) feature activating. Tried cycling the TSC feature on/off. Did not notice any difference.

Discussion: Im confident this issues is in the electric power steering system.

I found this post: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/electric-power-assist-steering.37539/ ...Perhaps the electric power assist steering is not working correctly and is compensating for a drift or irregular road surface. Or maybe the gearbox is bad.

Outside of finding remedy from the forum my next step is the dealer. Has anyone experienced this issues and how was it fixed? Thanks much.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's pretty odd, these things steer real well especially for a huge *** truck when everything is in working order

Steering effort makes me think power steering is involved.

OP
OP
dcroyle

dcroyle

Reaction score
Update:

Took the car to local ford dealer. Technician performed PMI on PSCM and TRM. Cleared code U3003 in PSCM (power steering control module) along with U2100 in TRM (trailer module). He thinks U3003 code was a result of prior bad battery. When battery was replaced code was not cleared. He could not replicated customer complaint.

Then, I took a brief drive at higher speeds on local roads and it appears issue is resolved. The real test will be when I get on the open interstate. Ill report back if issue is not resolved.