Electric Power Assist Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
So I just picked up a 2017 Expedition EL this past weekend. I hooked it up to my travel trailer to test it down the freeway. I previously had a 2010 Expedition EL towing the same trailer. The engine / transmission is fantastic and what I was going for going from the '10 to the '17. However, the steering was awful. I could feel the EPAS grab (put tension in the steering wheel), and release (very sloppy, feel not connected to the tires at all). It kept pulsating between grabbing and releasing. Hard to describe, but there were a few times where I generally white knuckle panicked that I had no control of steering it was that bad. The vehicle would just pick a direction and the steering wheel was completely loose and not connected to the tires, and then all of a sudden it would come back and be under control. Any one experience this with the electric power steering system? What did you do to fix it?

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would get an alignment check, I've had no issues with my 17 towing or not, nor with my 12 F150 with the same epas system. Now my chevy Malibu on the other hand does this frequently on the highway and a TSB is available to reprogram it. Not sure if such a thing exists for the Ford but I do know the epas steering rack has to be zeroed or centered if it was replaced and this can only be done via computer at the dealer....

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just picked up a 2017 Expedition EL this past weekend. I hooked it up to my travel trailer to test it down the freeway. I previously had a 2010 Expedition EL towing the same trailer. The engine / transmission is fantastic and what I was going for going from the '10 to the '17. However, the steering was awful. I could feel the EPAS grab (put tension in the steering wheel), and release (very sloppy, feel not connected to the tires at all). It kept pulsating between grabbing and releasing. Hard to describe, but there were a few times where I generally white knuckle panicked that I had no control of steering it was that bad. The vehicle would just pick a direction and the steering wheel was completely loose and not connected to the tires, and then all of a sudden it would come back and be under control. Any one experience this with the electric power steering system? What did you do to fix it?

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 with the HD tow package.

If you read your vehicle owner’s manual, you will see the electric power steering has a drift compensation feature. Is that what you are feeling?

I’m not trying to aggravate you, but the steering on my Expedition has always been very good.

You may want to take the vehicle to the dealer to determine if there is a problem with the electric steering system.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I suspect the trailer is not loaded properly and not properly connected to the truck and is swaying.

The trailer sway control "applies your vehicle brakes at individual wheels and, if necessary, reduces engine power." The could easily make it seem like the power steering was doing something scary as the left and right front brakes activate seemingly randomly. Improper weight and balance typically takes a lot of weight off the front (steering) axle.

Neither the words "drift" nor "compensation" occur anywhere in the 2017 owner's manual anywhere so I'm not sure what that means. (A searchable PDF version of the manual makes this easy.)

-- Chuck

OP
OP
M

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
I'll have to schedule an appt at the dealer. I actually had alignment done before I bought it as when I test drove it the vehicle pulled hard to the right, driving without a trailer it is ok. It'm sure it's not sway as I've pulled the exact same trailer with my 2010 EL and the steering is good with the same hitch setup with WDH and sway control and the trailer stays like a rock right behind the 2010 EL. I actually pulled off the freeway to turn sway control off when it happened thinking that the sway control was causing the problem, but the problem stayed the same. I did not feel any tail wagging effect with this 2017 expedition while I was running my test it was just a matter of the steering wheel becoming disconnected from the wheel feel. Very strange feeling.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is also a relearn procedure (I thought?)...when my steering goes wonky, I go rack to rack, and then accelerate off into the sunset and in a few miles it sorts itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
M

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
Update on this post. It’s been 1.5 months and 4 trips to the dealer. The dealer has looked over everything and hasn’t found an issue. They can replicate the problem. Working back and forth with Corporate Ford for next step now. Dealer mechanic thinks the entire steering rack needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
M

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
Wanted to update this for anyone else that may have a similar issue. The Dealer finally got the go ahead to replace the entire steering gear. I have driven it now for about a week and it is a completely different vehicle! I can actually control the wheels with the steering wheel! What a concept. My wife even mentioned to me that it is way better so that seals the deal. It was quite a hassle but thankfully my dealership kept working the problem with Ford and its now all better!

bservis

Reaction score
I know I way late to this thread but I recently 'upgraded' from '09 EL with air suspension to '17 (no EL) with no air suspension. The steering on the '17 feels very loose to me all the time. Almost like the EPAS is assisting like in low speed all the time even at speed. Going down the highway it feels loose. I tow a 30' travel trailer and it was white knuckle the first time out. I adjusted the weight distribution and tire pressure on the truck and it helped but did not fix it. I took it to my local mechanic and he agreed it felt loose. They could not find any obvious issues like worn bushings or linkage issues. I suspect something with the EPAS or steering. I looked for TSB but didn't find anything. Maybe time to go to the Ford dealer.