2017 4 Expy wheel drive is whimpy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Street

Reaction score
I tried to get through 8 inches of snow today and got stuck! It seems as the 4 wheel drive is not designed to be used? It would seem that the front wheels under load will disengage and the engine speed decreases? Has anyone else noticed this?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've had a 2000 and a 2008 and the 4-wheel drive is great. Never a problem and never got stuck. Sometimes fight a bit to disengage, but that's it. Drove lots of them on the job too, off-road.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What tires? The ones I had in when I bought mine were junk. Did you turn off TCS by holding it until the icon popped up on the dash, or just press it? I assume you tried 4-low?

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would agree with the above posts. 8 inches of snow is nothing but I would run it in 4H, not 4A. Your note about engine speed decreasing sounds like the traction control nannies kicking in. You can get better output by turning off the TCS as Langer mentioned. Good tires are a must but 4WD is meant to get you going in the snow. Does nothing for turning or stopping. Good luck!

tdappleman

Reaction score
4WD is fantastic on mine. Just got back from another ski trip with snow and ice with zero issues. The right tires will certainly make a huge difference in overall performance. The average all-season tire is not going to impress you much in snow that deep. If you are in the market for tires and you want snow performance then look for the triple snowflake symbol.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the best vehicle I've ever had in snow. Based on what you describe, it sounds like the tires may be slipping and the traction control may then be cutting power. I'd recommend a couple things: 1. Use 4H (not 4A) and 2. Turn off traction control. If that doesn't work you probably need better tires or there may be something broken.

Attachments

• exp1_01.jpg
    exp1_01.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 7

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some additional food for thought - we have the new Michelin Cross Climate all seasons on my wife's Audi Q5. Triple peak snow rated and they have performed great this winter. Very smooth riding tire as well so no real, traditional all-season tire tradeoffs. They don't make them in my 22" size but if they did I would get them in a heartbeat.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We got 16 inches of snow a couple of weeks a go and the truck handled it like a champ. I put it into 4 low (which turns of the TCS) until I got out of my driveway and subdivision. Neither of which were plowed recently.

I agree with others, make sure you have a good set of snow tires. All seasons won't cut it even with 4 wheel drive.

jlines

Reaction score
Check reviews on your tires. Mine is slipping and sliding in the snow. Turns out the tires don't have the best rating.