2017 brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I notice on my '17 the rear brakes wear faster than the fronts (about 40 k miles rears, 50k fronts). Is this due to the traction control? All other disk brake cars/trucks I have owned the rears tended to last about twice the mileage of the fronts, typically 70 - 80 k for rears versus 40 -50 k fronts. Just curious. Also noticed although pads look identical, they are clearly marked "inner" and "outer". The outer pads seem to wear faster on the rears. Am guessing inner and outer pads have different lining on them to compensate.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t checked my brakes on my 17 EL but now I’m curious to see if I have the same outcome. I know that my rear disc brakes on my E350 Super Duty utility body van burns down the rears faster than the fronts but I’ve been told that was because of all the weight I carry in the rear. Do you do a lot of towing with a lot of tongue weight or haul a lot of cargo?

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very little towing. Travels mostly empty. Almost no heavy brake application. I'm a non-aggressive, easy driver.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if this is true with the Expedition but many cars will have smaller disks/pads on the back than the front since most of the braking is done with the front.