2017 Crankcase Pressure Sensor Location? (P051B code)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lava

Reaction score
My 2017 XLT Ecoboost just started throwing code P051B, "crankcase pressure sensor - circuit range/performance". The code always comes up on start, if I clear the code and drive it does not come back until I restart. Is it possible that the pressure sensor is giving an erroneous reading only briefly while the engine is cranking? I started with the lowest hanging fruit, replacing the PCV valve, but that didn't help. Now I've purchased the service manual, but it's 12k pages long and I can't find the crankcase pressure sensor anywhere in it. Has anybody had this issue, and can anyone tell me where the crankcase pressure sensor is located so I can swap it?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's in the PCV line ontop of the motor. It may just be gummed up and you can try removing the whole line and cleaning it out with something like CRC Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner (AutoZone), or some other good foaming degreaser. If that doesn't clear it up you can just replace the whole line for about $45 . Nobody overfilled your crankcase with oil right ?

Ford FL3Z-6758-A EcoBoost PCV Line on eBay

Ford EcoBoost PCV Sensor P0051.jpgCRC Intake Turbo Cleaner.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lava

Reaction score
Just checked, oil is right at the max line. But it's been 4k miles since the oil was changed, so maybe it was overfilled initially?

I figured out where the sensor is. What confused me was that I was trying to look for a sensor right on the PCV, but that's not where it is. The line that connects to the PCV is on the passenger side, but the tube with the sensor is on the driver side, part number FL3E-6758-CC (part number was visible on it). Here's a pic, maybe it will help somebody in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_20220321_214405832~2.jpg
    IMG_20220321_214405832~2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had it replaced for free on my 2012 Expy at my local Ford Dealer. They said it was covered under some type of powertrain warranty (?). I didn't argue.....it was free!

Dick Daigle

Reaction score
This code just threw for me too. 2017 Expy. And of course I am on a 2000 mile road trip in the south west.
Am i ok to drive with this for the rest of my trip or should I replace it sooner than later?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett