2017 EL Limited- Rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just went out to put something in my back seat and noticed this spot on the bottom of the rear passenger door. Please excuse my ignorance, but is this rust?

Michelleexpy_rust3.jpg expy_rust.jpg expy_rust2.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, rust beginning for form where the paint has come off.

The paint has been scratched off the metal recently - perhaps getting in or out of the vehicle?

It should be thoroughly cleaned and touched-up, prior to rust forming. All traces of rust must be removed by sanding (such as using emery cloth).

You can get small bottles of primer and touch-up paint at your local Ford dealer.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, rust beginning for form where the paint has come off.

The paint has been scratched off the metal recently - perhaps getting in or out of the vehicle?

It should be thoroughly cleaned and touched-up, prior to rust forming. All traces of rust must be removed by sanding (such as using emery cloth).

You can get small bottles of primer and touch-up paint at your local Ford dealer.

That almost looks like rocker panel moisture bubbling through the paint. I don’t think it can be the case however, not on a 2017.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Why can't that be the case on a 2017? Just curious.....
Yeah & what is rocker panel moisture?

Too me, not see'ing it in person. Its just looks like your basic garden variety paint job failure allowing corrosion under the paint which then detaches the paint. Or that grey is primer and the paint never bonded to the primer and is now detaching. Or its corroding under the primer, pushing primer and paint off. Needs to be repainted?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why can't that be the case on a 2017? Just curious.....

Would be very rare, the truck is only 3 years old and the drains should not be clogged retaining moisture inside the panels/ corrosion shouldn’t be setting in yet since the steel is newer and paint is newer. I won’t address the other users laughable comment.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford has had this problem for years, with aluminum tailgates. Get to the dealer and show them. It should be under 5yr corrosion warranty.