2017 Exp. EL Limited-Ride problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Entirely different experience with the '17. It was already on the dealer's lot. And it lacks the air suspension as well.

-- Chuck

No 15-17’s have air. Unless they were bagged aftermarket. CCD uses electronically controlled struts that affect valving. They still have springs. 15-17 Expy’s equipped with load leveling Kare just NivoMat struts with some fancy valving. No bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
I have a 2017 EL Limited with 20" tires. Off the lot new it had to much bounce in the rear (lack of shock control). If you hit a big bump in the road it would bounce enough to pull the rear tires off the pavement at highway speeds. If you were in a curve when this happened it was difficult to maintain control and stay in your lane. Had to take it to the dealer twice before they replaced rear shocks. 1st time they didn't replace them because they said they weren't leaking. 2nd time I took it back and complained severly and took the service writer on a test ride. Made a believer out him. They replaced the rear shocks and it now drives and rides as expected, quite nicely !!

Okgearhead

Reaction score
Have you tried to adjust the ride with the controls on the left side of the steering wheel ? Is it set to comfort, normal or sport ?

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm. I test drove a 2017 XLT and it handled nothing like my 2003 XLT. I rounded a 45 mph turn and the truck felt unstable. Like it was top heavy. After the test drive I repeated the trip with the 2003 and it was solid and sure-footed. I felt like I could have rounded the turn faster with the 2003.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Hmm. I test drove a 2017 XLT and it handled nothing like my 2003 XLT. I rounded a 45 mph turn and the truck felt unstable. Like it was top heavy. After the test drive I repeated the trip with the 2003 and it was solid and sure-footed. I felt like I could have rounded the turn faster with the 2003.
With my 2017 platinum, on factory 22" wheels and in "sport" mode, you can drive it like a sports car around corners. Unbelievably stable for a 3 1/2 ton vehicle. In "normal" it performs a thousand times better than my 07 Eddie Bauer. The only time it feels like it has a ton of body roll is when it's in "comfort" mode.