2017 Max Tire Size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lava

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2017 XLT and would like to upsize my stock 275/65/R18 tires. What is the largest tire that will fit with no rubbing? Will 285s fit?
And I guess my next question would be, whatever the largest tire is, will that also fit in the spare tire well?

Reaction score
I think your biggest worry is going to be if you are lifted at all or not. I have the premium wheels (I think they are 20s) and was thinking about putting the 35s on from my F150 but they are wayyyyyy too big. Also think about tire wall height when at full crank. No rubbing now is always better than the Mrs. driving it and not thinking about your bigger tires and breaking something. (I speak from experience on that same F150)

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
Max tire size is always an interesting topic. I spent an exhausting amount of time researching this recently. I have a 2015 Limited 2wd with the 20" wheels, 275/55 stock. I wanted more surface area contact, so I was specifically looking for wider tires. I went with 285/55r20 Toyo Open Country AT/3s. Part of me wishes I had went with 295, but I couldn't find anything that said they fit without rubbing.

OP
OP
L

Lava

Reaction score
"Why do this?"

If you have to ask...

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think the 285s will work but I wonder if my tire store will go out of their way to help me try out a few different sizes.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I understand and acknowledge "just cuz" as a legitimate reason. :) And it's somewhat different question depending on if the existing tires are worn out when the question might even become "why not?"

One reason I bought a truck with 18" wheels is for the taller tire profile and a more compliant ride. Larger diameter wheels and thinner tires can make it ride like a truck. Tire width is only "kinda standardized" and actual width varies by tire manufacturer. Sometimes dramatically.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
L

Lava

Reaction score
I'll be due for new tires in the early spring, so figured I'd start looking. I'm really surprised at the lack of definitive answers on here. When I had a Nissan Frontier it was very common knowledge on the message boards what the biggest tire you could fit was. Many, many people had done it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett