Tire size and KYB vs Monroe strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TyCop7

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2017 Ford Expedition Limited EL. I've got a couple questions I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can answer.

My truck currently has 275/55r20 tires...keeping everything stock (stock rims too) could I fit 275/60r20 tires?

Secondly....I have 1-2 leaky shocks. I don't want to do this DIY so I will be taking into a shop. If I do Bilstein 5100s....what are the part numbers that I'd need? Do I need to find a new spring perch for the rear (i've heard mixed reviews) and should I purchase new coil springs as well (140xxx miles).

OR do I just go with a KYB or Monroe strut replacement?

Any help is apprecaited as I'd like to get this project done before xmas and I know shops around me (northern WI) are getting booked up quick.

Thanks!

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
I recently bought tires and was doing a lot of reading and searching for plus sized tire answers. I recall something like anything with a less than 5% change is relatively safe. But don't quote me on that as I did a lot of reading and searching the forum for about 6 weeks before making a decision and buying.

275/55r20 to 275/60r20 is a 3.4% increase. I'd do some searching through here for that reference though before running out and buying. I ultimately went with a 285/55r20 because I saw more personal benefit from a wider tire for my purpose.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any help is apprecaited as I'd like to get this project done before xmas and I know shops around me (northern WI) are getting booked up quick.

Thanks!
The biggest benefit of the Bilsteins is additional stiffness for towing, height adjustability, and perhaps greater durability. If you're not towing, the benefit would be questionable. I tow infrequently and went with the KYB rears. So far so good.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had kyb on my 2010 for about 100,000 and changed them out the Bilsteins 4600 and changed the tire to 275/60/20 on stock rims and rides fine.

how does it drive compared to the 275/55/20?

TORNIT07

Reaction score
I had KYB installed on the front under warranty back in 2010 or 2012, can't recall, but they lasted 80,000+ miles. Those were made in the USA. I replaced them in 2018 with the same KYB and they didn't last 30,000 miles. Those were made in Japan. I will be replacing them again soon as they are 100% SHOT. I will be installing Bilstiens for sure.

I did purchase a size large tire back in September 2021 but the struts were well on the way out already. I went with Falken Wild Peak AT3 265/70/18. They have been GREAT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani