2018-2021 vs 2022 Expedition Max?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knut

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2019 XLT MAX. Totally satisfied with this car.. Power 10 point front seats, electric folding 2 & 3 row seats, heated & cooled seats, sync 3, foot controlled power gate, heated steering wheel, HD tow package, back-up assist, trailer back-up assist.

And since I tow a travel trailer I was looking for a high payload, 1796 lbs.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally, if you opt for the 22 model year Stealth or Timberline trim, you get 440hp vice the standard 400hp on the Plat trim, no confirmation yet as to if the 440hp engine config will be an option for the Plat trim.
There's no configurable option for the Platinum. If will either have the high output, or not. The current order guide has N/A for all three engine horsepower options right now, though. (Platinum, sub-Platinum, and Stealth/Timberline).
I fully intend to trade up my current 18 Expy Plat Max for the 22 model as soon as build/order window opens. I also have my reservation in for the F150 Lightning, looking forward to when the build/order window opens up for that as well. Good luck on your search/decision!
You mean the online configurator? Because a dealer can order it for you right now. The order guide is googleable.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to release Information by ford, the xlt and Ltd will get 375hp, the plat will get 400, and timb and stealth perf will get 440.

OP
OP
T

TruckNuts

Reaction score
I bought a 2020 about a year ago and regret not getting the platinum. While I wish it was possible to pick and choose specific features, there are some things I wish I had that were in the higher trim package. Like other readers say, if you can afford the extra investment (especially for a long-term buy) you should do it. I've also found, from previous cars, that having a tightly integrated feature built into the vehicle is way better than after market.
What features in particular?

OP
OP
T

TruckNuts

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2019 XLT MAX. Totally satisfied with this car.. Power 10 point front seats, electric folding 2 & 3 row seats, heated & cooled seats, sync 3, foot controlled power gate, heated steering wheel, HD tow package, back-up assist, trailer back-up assist.

And since I tow a travel trailer I was looking for a high payload, 1796 lbs.
Pretty cool you still can get all those features in the XLT trim! Plus I’m guessing a higher payload than the limited and platinum trims.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to release Information by ford, the xlt and Ltd will get 375hp, the plat will get 400, and timb and stealth perf will get 440.
Do you have a link to an actual Ford source, though? The order guide only says "n/a," and every other reference I've seen is from news articles where they say the Timberline and Stealth Performance will have it, but don't actually mention the Platinum.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plus I’m guessing a higher payload than the limited and platinum trims.
Not if you start adding Limited options, like heated/cooled seats, power seats, and the rest. That is where the XLT saves the weight. Add the options, and you remove the advantage.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a link to an actual Ford source, though? The order guide only says "n/a," and every other reference I've seen is from news articles where they say the Timberline and Stealth Performance will have it, but don't actually mention the Platinum.

Attachments

• 22Expedition-Tech-Specs.pdf
    547.2 KB · Views: 24

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're investing in a car that long, don't skimp on tech. I'd go for the 2022 Stealth if it were my money (I might actually trade in my 2019 Special Edition for it). Stealth includes MOST of the Platinum trim features to my knowledge, minus the massage seats, upgraded leather and some exterior trim pieces. You WILL get the 360 copilot and assuming that comes with Blue Cruise or you can option it for Blue Cruise that's a must my opion if you're keeping the car that long. My biggest pet peeve in my 2019 is the auto cruise and lane keep don't center you in the lane (Lane Keep+ in Ford terms), so the new Co-Pilot and Blue Cruise are well worth the upgrade for me for highway cruising as you can sit back and relax a bit more. Lastly, 440hp in the Stealth would be amazing!

Platinum 2022 is really nice as well though, can't go wrong with that or Stealth 2022 in my opinion but I'm a sucker for the Stealth look.

OH YEAH, and used car prices are too high, BUY NEW!

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dlcorbett, thanks! I've been trying to find a published source for weeks now.

Stealth includes MOST of the Platinum trim features to my knowledge, minus the massage seats, upgraded leather and some exterior trim pieces. You WILL get the 360 copilot and assuming that comes with Blue Cruise or you can option it for Blue Cruise that's a must my opion if you're keeping the car that long.

According to the order guide, there's no upgrade path to the Copilot 360 Active, which is a Platinum exclusive feature ("Active" is BlueCruise). And per the above, no highest-output on the Platinum is available.

So we're in a screwed up mid cycle refresh where there's no Max Timberline, no ability to get the 440 HP on the Platinum, no ability to get BlueCruise on a Timberline or Stealth/Stealth+. What a messed up combination of features.

I'm going with the Platinum Max. Livernois is down the street and can deal with the HP issue.