2018-2021 vs 2022 Expedition Max?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckNuts

Reaction score
In the market for a new family hauler adventure-mobile, and the 4th gen Expedition Max in Platinum trim is at the top of the list (was looking at F150 Powerboost as well, but the Expedition seems more versatile and still hauls a ton with the seats down). I was hoping the facelift 2022’s would come with the lithium batteries and 7.2kw generator, so that was a let down. Still, the 2022’s really improve the tech of the truck, with sync 4, digital instrument cluster, wireless CarPlay, and blue cruise.

From my early research, the pre-facelift Expys seem to be quite reliable. And in my opinion, they look rugged yet refined. For those with Expeditions, especially Platinum trim, do the 2022’s offer enough improvements to justify buying new, or am I better off getting a used pre-facelift for 15-20k less?

I plan to buy this and hold onto it for 10-15 years (around 10-15k miles a year) at least until the kids are out of the house, assuming it proves to be reliable.

Other questions, is Platinum worth the extra cost? I like the idea of extra power, massaging seats, 360 camera and quieter cabin. Is it better to get one with factory tvs in the headrest or aftermarket/iPads? I’d like the option of playing videos for the kids, sometime the same movie simultaneously, but different ones too.

Thanks!

Last edited:

thetechie01

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 MAX Limited. I'd love to have the 2022, but I couldn't do the $20k price jump at this point. If money weren't as big of an issue, I'd totally jump on the 2022

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can afford the extra $$ and can wait until next Feb at the earliest for delivery I'd order a 22. There are some nice updates from the 21's. More power from the engine, especially in the Stealth and Timberline trims.

OP
OP
T

TruckNuts

Reaction score
If you can afford the extra $$ and can wait until next Feb at the earliest for delivery I'd order a 22. There are some nice updates from the 21's. More power from the engine, especially in the Stealth and Timberline trims.
As far as I know, the Stealth trim is only available in Limited trim and Timberline doesn't come in a Max yet.

I would want a Max in Platinum trim....does anyone know if that comes with 400 or 440hp?

OP
OP
T

TruckNuts

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 MAX Limited. I'd love to have the 2022, but I couldn't do the $20k price jump at this point. If money weren't as big of an issue, I'd totally jump on the 2022
Anything in particular you see as a worthwhile improvement on the 22's? Or put it another way, what aren't you happy with on the 19?

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as I know, the Stealth trim is only available in Limited trim and Timberline doesn't come in a Max yet.

I would want a Max in Platinum trim....does anyone know if that comes with 400 or 440hp?
The Platinum trim does not come with the HO engine like the Stealth or Timberline. So 400 hp.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2019 Platinum (SWB) as a company car for a while, and I absolutely loved it. I ordered a 2021 Limited Max, but the upgrades on the 2022 Platinum made me order one of those (the dealer is happy to keep the 2021). Like the OP, I plan to keep it for 10 to 20 years (I'm replacing my personally-owned 2004), unless the electric Expedition that's inevitable in a few years makes me want to switch.

For 2022, Sync 4 or Sync 4A is absolutely worth the model year change. I have it in my Mustang Mach E, and while I miss some of the physical buttons some of the time, the huge screen and better responsiveness vs. Sync 3 finally make me happy with Sync. And of course, Platinum gives you Copilot 360 Active, and that "Active" part means the hardware for BlueCruise. BlueCruise is incredibly freeing for long road trips, and I absolutely love it.

Edit: I'll add that I still don't know the output of the Platinum engine. I would be disappointed if the top-of-the-line didn't offer the high output, though.

Sandy Cade

Reaction score
I own a 18 Expy Plat Max. My recommendation, go for the upcoming 22 Plat. Here's why I say that:
1. The current 18-20 (some 21's) are having issues with powertrain control module reprogram for Cam Phaser rattle (FSA 21B10) and PCM Reprogram due to engine shudder (TSB 21N08) both of which are very costly if your mileage is over 70K miles (this is the cutoff FORD has set to cover the cost of this repair, after 70K miles, you're on your own unless you have the FORD premium extended warranty, even if that's the case, you might have to do battle with the warranty folks to cover this repair). This has been a know issue with FORD engineers for years now, I'm hoping they have resolved this issue with the 22 build.
2. The 18-20 model years have a bug in the Adaptive Cruise Control system where once it's activated, there are time when the system does not start to slow you down soon enough when approaching a vehicle. When it finally does detect the vehicle you are coming up on, your vehicle breaks pretty hard. I've personally experienced this several times and at highway speeds, this can be VERY concerning. Again, I'm hoping this is resolved in the 22 build.
3. The current rear seat entertainment system is not as convenient to use as one would think and the quality of the screens are not up to par for what you pay for when opting for this package. The 8" screens resolution is ok but not as good as the newer screens on most of FORD's competitors. Also, on the 22 build the rear seat entertainment comes preloaded with Amazon Fire and although not confirmed, 10" screens with a much higher resolution.
4. Finally, if you opt for the 22 model year Stealth or Timberline trim, you get 440hp vice the standard 400hp on the Plat trim, no confirmation yet as to if the 440hp engine config will be an option for the Plat trim.
I fully intend to trade up my current 18 Expy Plat Max for the 22 model as soon as build/order window opens. I also have my reservation in for the F150 Lightning, looking forward to when the build/order window opens up for that as well. Good luck on your search/decision!

Last edited:

kpieper876

Reaction score
I bought a 2020 about a year ago and regret not getting the platinum. While I wish it was possible to pick and choose specific features, there are some things I wish I had that were in the higher trim package. Like other readers say, if you can afford the extra investment (especially for a long-term buy) you should do it. I've also found, from previous cars, that having a tightly integrated feature built into the vehicle is way better than after market.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was seriously considering trading in my '19 Platinum (love the massaging seats) for a '22 Platinum but will wait to see if the issues mentioned by @Sandy Cade are resolved first... all bets are off if I get an insane deal on my trade in and they meet or beat X-Plan pricing... but I'm not holding my breath...