2018 Exp Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Llowe

Reaction score
My car has 72k miles. It is humming/buzzing in the front end. Ford garage is guessing that it is a wheel bearing in the front right that is 'barely started' to go bad, so they say it doesn't need fixed right away. But dang that buzzing is loud. You know how a tiny car with big pipes sounds like an angry bee? That's the buzzing I have. I can sometimes feel it in my steering wheel. It is loudest at 30-45mph. The tires are about two years old. A bunch of sites say that the wheel bearing should last the life of the car. They want $852 to fix their guess of a barely there problem. I'm taking it to another Ford garage Friday for another opinion.
Last night I stopped at a light and my idle was weird. It was around 400 rpm instead of 600 rpm and it was jumpy, if that makes any sense. I put it in neutral and gave it gas to up the rpms because I was afraid it would stall. Did fine the rest of the trip.
Cam phaser rattle recall was "fixed" but is still quite loud when it first starts.
Any ideas? For as expensive as it was, I sort of expect more from a car.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford garage is guessing that it is a wheel bearing in the front right that is 'barely started' to go bad, so they say it doesn't need fixed right away.
In other words....they dont really know what it is and used this as an excuse not to do any work on it. Also, if they think its a wheel bearing "starting to go bad" and chose not to replace and that wording is on paper and u get into an accident because your wheel falls off then you will immediately become the new owner of Ford...

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My car has 72k miles. It is humming/buzzing in the front end. Ford garage is guessing that it is a wheel bearing in the front right that is 'barely started' to go bad, so they say it doesn't need fixed right away. But dang that buzzing is loud. You know how a tiny car with big pipes sounds like an angry bee? That's the buzzing I have. I can sometimes feel it in my steering wheel. It is loudest at 30-45mph. The tires are about two years old. A bunch of sites say that the wheel bearing should last the life of the car. They want $852 to fix their guess of a barely there problem. I'm taking it to another Ford garage Friday for another opinion.
Last night I stopped at a light and my idle was weird. It was around 400 rpm instead of 600 rpm and it was jumpy, if that makes any sense. I put it in neutral and gave it gas to up the rpms because I was afraid it would stall. Did fine the rest of the trip.
Cam phaser rattle recall was "fixed" but is still quite loud when it first starts.
Is it possible to record the noise? If it's a wheel bearing, it should be fixed.
Usually when a vehicle starts and is noisy, it's either because the oil has not pumped up yet or the cooling fan is roaring. all my Fords did it if I used the wrong filter. Oil filters with anti-siphon valves prevents the oil from running out of the filter when the engine is turned off.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The buzzing is a classic IWE bearing/hub failure, assuming you have 4wd. This should be fixed without further delay.

For the inconsistent idle, it may be due to old spark plugs that need replacement, but there are many other possible causes. There are multiple sensors on the intake that get fouled with oil and can lead to erratic idle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire