2018 Expedition center cup holder fell into car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hssst

Reaction score
I see that wakeboarder has many posts and is possibly very knowledgeable about many issues with these vehicles. But in my opinion, he got the cup holder issue wrong. Yes, there are spot welds around the plastic bottoms and they break. However, I believe they were just placed there for easy of assembly of the unit. I replaced the band that holds the stabilizers without gluing or welding or screwing the plastic pieces together and the bottoms stay firmly in place because of the mechanical design of the stabilizers. No weight is held by the expansion band but by the stabilizers.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see that wakeboarder has many posts and is possibly very knowledgeable about many issues with these vehicles. But in my opinion, he got the cup holder issue wrong. Yes, there are spot welds around the plastic bottoms and they break. However, I believe they were just placed there for easy of assembly of the unit. I replaced the band that holds the stabilizers without gluing or welding or screwing the plastic pieces together and the bottoms stay firmly in place because of the mechanical design of the stabilizers. No weight is held by the expansion band but by the stabilizers.
I had this same impression, but you'll see if you put a full-size cup in there that pushes the stabilizers all the way out, the bottom will have nothing supporting it. Far better to secure the bottom with screws/bolts (I used glue but next time I'll do it right).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01