2018 Expedition oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is this a different engine than in the 17
comptelety different then a 17. Only thing thats the same is they are both 3.5l engines. Block is different, different turbos, heads, oil pan setup, fuel system, ignition system, and intercooler design.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
comptelety different then a 17. Only thing thats the same is they are both 3.5l engines. Block is different, different turbos, heads, oil pan setup, fuel system, ignition system, and intercooler design.
But with his issue he’s got none of that matters and he’s back to a gen 1 ecoboost from the 2011-2014 F-150 that needs a hole drilled in the CAC

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds more like a turbocharger oil seal. That will mean a intercooler full of oil if on the compressor side or if the exhaust seal it will be dumping oil directly into the exhaust.

If the oil is entering the exhaust stream, it has probably damaged the catalytic converters.

kjf1

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at your PCV system?
Do you have any catch can In your system?

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an ‘18 Expy that has been used to tow an 8000# travel trailer for a total of 12,000 of it’s current 15,000 miles. This has included crisscrossing the Rockies in the US and Canada. I’ve let the computer dictate the oil changes and just had the 2nd change. Each at roughly 7500 miles and was approaching a quart low on the stick at each change. If yours isn't leaking, it has to be inhaling it somewhere. I’d be pressing Ford hard on this one.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an ‘18 Expy that has been used to tow an 8000# travel trailer for a total of 12,000 of it’s current 15,000 miles. This has included crisscrossing the Rockies in the US and Canada. I’ve let the computer dictate the oil changes and just had the 2nd change. Each at roughly 7500 miles and was approaching a quart low on the stick at each change. If yours isn't leaking, it has to be inhaling it somewhere. I’d be pressing Ford hard on this one.
A quart low at 7500 miles, YOU might wanna get yours checked out

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Your fine. GM spec allows a 1 qt per 1000 miles.

Dont listen to anyone on here about what they think is normal...unless they are a powertrain engineer for Ford specifically working on the 3.5l EB platform. There have been some cases of Turbos consuming oil on the 17+ Gen 2 3.5l ecoboost engine. Im on my 3rd Gen 2 3.5 engine and havent had a problem with one of them. My 16 was great also. Towed a 8000lbs 32ft Jayco over 5k miles last year.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your fine. GM spec allows a 1 qt per 1000 miles.

Dont listen to anyone on here about what they think is normal...unless they are a powertrain engineer for Ford specifically working on the 3.5l EB platform. There have been some cases of Turbos consuming oil on the 17+ Gen 2 3.5l ecoboost engine. Im on my 3rd Gen 2 3.5 engine and havent had a problem with one of them. My 16 was great also. Towed a 8000lbs 32ft Jayco over 5k miles last year.
Are you a power train engineer for ford?