‘04 5.4L Expedition Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcarte16

Reaction score
Been fighting oil leaks with our 2004 Eddie Bauer 5.4L 2WD (original owner, 218K miles) for some time. Engine burns oil and appears to have leaks on oil pan and valve covers. Oil pan gasket was previously replaced but still has a leak. Engine has started to periodically run rough in the last 6 months. Maybe needs a new fuel filter? I am concerned about the bearings burning up. Had this happen in our ’06 4.6L F150 and had to rebuild the motor. Not a fan of synthetic oil for this reason. I did an oil change on the Expedition yesterday and tried conventional motor oil in instead of synthetic oil and the oil leak at the pan is much worse now only while the engine is running. Appreciate and comments/suggestions.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a fix in a bottle recommendation. Although I have had good luck with ATP AT-205 which is intended revitalize gaskets and seals. This won't work if the oil leaks are significant though. It's just a seal conditioner, most of these types of products swell the gaskets and as a result aren't such a good idea. I use AT-205 as conditioner for rubber suspension bushings and boots.

I would retorque the oil pan and then replace the gasket again if that fails. For the valve covers I'd replace those gaskets. I like the Fel-Pro Permadry gaskets.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the engine running remove the oil fill cap and make sure you have a slight vacuum over the fill opening. Like it will hold a piece of paper onto it. If you don't, then clean your PCV valve and make sure you have no vacuum leaks in other tubing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire