2018 Expedition Steering Rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwinchell92

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford expedition limited. When I am driving on a straight road it seems to drive OK. When I drive on an uneven road or switch lanes it feels like the vehicle is going to lose control. It pulls left and right really hard, it’s like I have to continuously be holding onto the steering wheel tight. I got this car about a month ago and I’m trying to work out all the problems. I really love this vehicle, but I’ve already had the cam pHaser replaced now I have having problems the steering. I got an alignment yesterday and it almost made it worse on bumpy roads has anybody else dealt with anything similar , it’s almost like it drives better Without the swerve control on.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford expedition limited. When I am driving on a straight road it seems to drive OK. When I drive on an uneven road or switch lanes it feels like the vehicle is going to lose control. It pulls left and right really hard, it’s like I have to continuously be holding onto the steering wheel tight. I got this car about a month ago and I’m trying to work out all the problems. I really love this vehicle, but I’ve already had the cam pHaser replaced now I have having problems the steering. I got an alignment yesterday and it almost made it worse on bumpy roads has anybody else dealt with anything similar , it’s almost like it drives better Without the swerve control on.

The lane keeping assistance is on?

OP
OP
D

dwinchell92

Reaction score
The lane keeping assistance is on?
No, not to my knowledge. it’s just when I turn the traction control off It almost seems to drive a little better but when I hit an uneven part of the road, it pulls left and right almost like I’m taking my hand and jerking the steering wheel back-and-forth and sometimes it’ll pull more left and sometimes it’ll pull more right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dwinchell92

Reaction score
I just checked and it was on. I don’t know if that will totally fix the problem. I got an alignment two days ago, but there’s uneven wear on the tires already so that doesn’t help

Last edited:

Moeman

Reaction score
I'd start by turning off LKA. I hate it most of the time unless I'm on a straight highway and want to do something on the phone quickly. Once you get the electronics out of the picture you can tell more what exactly the mechanics (and remaining electronics are doing).

Did the problem start after the alignment, or did you get the alignment because of the problems? Noticeable tire wear after two days indicates a really big problem.

Try taking it back to the shop and complain about the poor handling. Have them give you a print-out of the alignment (or take a picture of the screen). Post it here or send it to me. While its on the rack, take a look underneath for any suspension or steering components appearing damaged. While on the ground, jounce the vehicle by hand and listen for clunking, noises. Key in accessory position - rotate steering wheel back and forth and listen for any noises. Turn engine on, repeat - rotate steering wheel back and forth.

I'm kinda throwing the kitchen sink at you, but if there's something that wrong with the drive-ability, there will likely be something that is so worn or damaged that it will make noise, or you'll see it on the alignment readings.

What kind of tires? Size and brand?

Last edited: