2018 Expo Cam Phaser Ford Extended Warranty Coverage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tradman

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Expedition Max that is out of warranty and has 85k miles. After reading about all the Cam Phaser nightmares from others and it costing $4000 to repair, I inquired with my Ford dealer about adding a extended warranty.

They quoted me three levels for 4yr/48k miles and a $50 deductible:
1. Ford Power Train Care: $3,270
2. Ford Extra Care: $3,995
3. Ford Premium Care: $4,925

All three levels cover what is called "All Internally Lubricated Parts". I assume this is the operative line item which covers these Cam Phaser repairs. I don't want to ask the Ford salesman about such a specific problem as they will think I am fishing for coverage for a pre-existing condition. Can anyone speak to this?

I would rather pay $4k-$5k for a warranty that gives me comprehensive coverage rather than pay $4k for a one time fix. But before I do this I don't want to pay $4k-$5k for a warranty that doesn't even cover this one very expensive item.

If I have to ask I will.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Expedition Max that is out of warranty and has 85k miles. After reading about all the Cam Phaser nightmares from others and it costing $4000 to repair, I inquired with my Ford dealer about adding a extended warranty.

They quoted me three levels for 4yr/48k miles and a $50 deductible:
1. Ford Power Train Care: $3,270
2. Ford Extra Care: $3,995
3. Ford Premium Care: $4,925

All three levels cover what is called "All Internally Lubricated Parts". I assume this is the operative line item which covers these Cam Phaser repairs. I don't want to ask the Ford salesman about such a specific problem as they will think I am fishing for coverage for a pre-existing condition. Can anyone speak to this?

I would rather pay $4k-$5k for a warranty that gives me comprehensive coverage rather than pay $4k for a one time fix. But before I do this I don't want to pay $4k-$5k for a warranty that doesn't even cover this one very expensive item.

If I have to ask I will.
I have PremiumCare with LED lighting included

The ESP shoulf definetly cover cam phasers

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have read this posting 3x's and thought about your delema. The warranty offers are something to contemplate. 48k or so miles that the peace of mind will cover for MAYBE future repairs seems fair. You have already have used up
3/4's of that mileage to get to 135k. My thought is put that money into a savings account and add to it yearly. Hopefully you will be problem free doing all the
Maintenance requirements. Just Me giving my side of the equation.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Extended Service Plan (ESP) which uses that same wording of all internal lubricated engine parts and have had the phasers done twice as well as turbos. It does cover everything in the engine touching oil but for sure not parts like fuel injectors. Transmission also has the same wording and that failed and was covered too! That was a clutch drum (C D F drum to be exact). Good thing to know is the latest released phasers toward the fall of 2022 look to be a much upgraded part so hopefully we all will get this behind us now.

Last edited:

chrissbu

Reaction score
We're having ours done under the dealer's own powertrain warranty, so the phasers would be covered even under the minimal powertrain warranty from Ford.

As a heads up with any of the extended warranties from Ford, since you're out of warranty, they're all going to require a full inspection before they can take effect...I think it's $100-200 typically for the inspection before the Ford Protect policy can even take effect. So just plan on budgeting that in as well, and if there's already an issue, they may disqualify it from being eligible for any ESP.

Good luck!

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be surprised if Cam phaser is covered it is specifically only mentioned in the premium under emissions category. Base and Extra packages don't even have emission coverage. I opted for the Premium 125,000 4 yr, $100 dect. for 2,800. I had to have my inspected so make sure you take all the after market stuff off.

37ford

Reaction score
I’m in the same position. I need new cam phasers, but I’m out of warranty. If I get the ESP, it would be strictly for the cam phasers. Anything else would be a bonus.

It’s not like Ford doesn’t know that all these engines will need new phasers. Surely that would be baked into the price of the ESP. I just wanted to see some examples from those who had success doing this with the ESP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65